There are newer employer reviews for Globecomm

Globecomm has provided me with great experience and training to assist me with growing in my current field.

Current Employee - TOC Technician  in  Laurel, MD
Current Employee - TOC Technician in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Globecomm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Provides plenty of training.
Provides plenty of benefits such as free financial adviser, counseling, lawyer, and school reimbursement etc...

Cons

Small company so not very many job opportunities... (only chose that because i HAD to chose a con)

Keep putting your employees best interest at the top of your list.

6 Other Employee Reviews for Globecomm (View Most Recent)

A great place to start or make your career

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist  in  Hauppauge, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Globecomm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Note: I can really only speak to my experiences as a Network Operations Center (NOC) employee.

-benefits kick in as soon as you're employed and you begin accruing sick and vacation time for a total of 10 days for each by end of year for first 5 years (years 6-10, 15 vacation, years 11+ 20 days vacation. 10 sick days throughout)
    -10% night-time differential as NOC employee (15% for overnight crew)
    -up to $11,500 per calender year in reimbursements for furthering your education. Bonus points for being a painless process when getting approval for this too.
    -generally a hands-off attitude from management regarding splitting of responsibilities in the NOC
    -after a year as employee, you're allowed to apply for other internal positions in the company. Many people in this company started in the NOC and were trained in something they were only somewhat familiar with beforehand. In other words, there's definitely opportunity for growth.
    -8 hour shift with paid lunch (NOC only). Most of the rest of the company works 8AM-5PM with hour unpaid lunch.
    -company recognizes 10 holidays (paid)
    -decent amount of overtime opportunities
    -In my department of the NOC there's a pretty steady workload but the job itself isn't very stressful.

Cons

-As a NOC employee, you start as a consultant and it's typically months (some have gone 10+ months) before getting hired as an employee.
    -Training could be prioritized a bit more. Half of my team seem a little lost and make a decent amount of mistakes. Many people I interact with from other departments complain from time to time that they weren't trained in X job function.
    -decrease in pay from consultant to employee in NOC
    -recent buyout saw many employees terminated, hard to say who'd potentially be next (though NOC staff would probably be among the last to go)
    -no matching contributions for 401k
    -benefits aren't very competitive. Even vacation time is a little low for the tech-world.
    -generally not to much feedback on job performance. There is a yearly performance review, however.
    -company hasn't given raises in a few years.
    -no company contributions to 401k.

-Neutral: a lot of friends a family in this company. Leads to an unusual work culture where skill isn't the primary factor in deciding who gets what position. I know that sounds like favoritism, but in reality if you do a good job in your current position, someone is likely to put in a good word for you to move to another department.
    -The NOC is a 24x7x365 operation, so there's work on holidays. Also in NOC, we work on an alternating schedule with 2 months with weekends off and 2 months with weekends on.

I am unsure how involved upper management is in dealing with the NOC's job functions but there's an ever-increasing workload (and more contract money) coming into the NOC constantly, especially the maritime aspect. A small raise could do wonders in boosting morale, especially for the few people who appear to be a little overwhelmed. It'd also make it more convincing for the younger guys to want to stay. Stripping benefits and not receiving raises makes it seem the company isn't going to last for an entire career length. On the flip side, kudos to new management for coming in and terminating a good portion of the upper management who were virtually infamous for serving no actual purpose. If word like that gets all the way down to my level, it was certainly a good move on managements behalf.

Irractic and ineffective leadership after acquisition. No sense of loyalty.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Globecomm

Pros

There are some good people still there. Leadership needs to go.

Cons

Unorganized, too many VP's, very weak leadership.

Get out from behind your desks and make decisions based on knowledge NOT hear say or buddy buddy reccomendations.

There are newer employer reviews for Globecomm

Worked for Globecomm? Contribute to the Community!