There are newer employer reviews for Glu

a good place to work in 2009.

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Glu

Pros

Glu is one of those rare places that "get it" in terms of work/life balance. This culture was important, and it came from the top down. The attitude was; get your job done and work hard. If you need to take some time for something important (e.g. a family issue) then do it, and make sure you get your job done on your own time. It was very liberating and useful, as we were given the right tools (mobile, laptop etc) to check in and make sure we were on track with projects.
You will work hard at Glu, but its worth it.

Cons

Glu is a company that is constantly struggling against the bigger mobile companies, and lacks the necessary push to make it to the top. The reasons are:
1. Capital. they had a few off quarters and the economy tanked in 2009.
2. Internal lack of leadership: there was a divide between internal groups as to which direction the company should head in in 2009. Hopefully this has been resolved.
3. Compensation was about 15% below the rest of the market. When it came time to talk about raises, there never was enough to go around. They would only award bonuses in case of a dire need or drastic change.

1. Figure out the internal issues and put them to rest.
2. Take some risks; with new games on different platforms..
3. Listen to your senior management. They have good experience - let them take a role in shaping where the company should go

66 Other Employee Reviews for Glu (View Most Recent)

get glued

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Glu

Pros

Great building! The atmosphere is great and the HR department really cares about the happiness of the employees.

Cons

Senior management does not listen to the employees or each other. They are a smart of group of people who do not work well together. I can't believe the company has made it this far.

Sell Now!

Mostly young employees

I worked at Glu

Pros

Glu is a fun place to work mostly because it makes video games. The company does not suffer from a lot of bureacracy or hr silliness.

Cons

When I was there, I wasn't impressed with many of the managers in the engineering group, because they did not have very solid knowledge of how video games work, or were not good leaders (though a couple were quite good and made the situation tolerable). I also felt that some managers lacked basic leadership skills (ie, unfriendly, aloof, not taking responsible for decisions). There were not a lot of mature, senior people to act as mentors.

Somehow hire/elevate managers that have good video game expertise. Certain management could develop better leadership skills (ie, lose the aloof attitude, be more likeable, don't pretend to be something you're not).

There are newer employer reviews for Glu