There are newer employer reviews for Glynlyon

Very stable and generous to employees, but not a progressive company.

Current Employee - Technical Support  in  Rock Rapids, IA
Current Employee - Technical Support in Rock Rapids, IA

I have been working at Glynlyon

Pros

Glynlyon is an almost family like company. The departments seem to take care of their own. The health insurance and benefits packages are outstanding. The company does seem to care about it's employees. When employees have ideas for improvement and are willing to put in extra and fight for them, they are typically given room and resources to do so. Pro-activeness is encouraged and appreciated. Customer service is first class and will constantly bend over backwards for customers.

Cons

Glynlyon is a very reactionary company. The products and services offered are typically years behind the competition and are not innovative. Company growth does not appear to be aggressive and the culture seems to be "this is good enough, it works" instead of "that's not good enough, what would make us the leader?". The corporate culture is not progressive and is very slow to adapt. Compensation seems low compared to similar jobs. The office environments are old and seem like they would fit perfectly in with the '70s and '80s white collar cubicle farms.

Update the office environments. Progressively and aggressively act on new products and technology. Rennovate and innovate to be ahead of the competition. Allow employees more input on future growth. Sometimes employees see farther ahead than management will and certainly hear the customers' wants and needs more closely than management can. Listen to the customers and be and do exactly what they want. Anticipate what they want if possible.

11 Other Employee Reviews for Glynlyon (View Most Recent)

Not impressed

I have been working at Glynlyon as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I interviewed at this company recently after responding to a well written and progressive job site advertisement. The company website showed a strong history or growth and technology moving towards a sustainable agile/lean methodology.

Cons

The building was very old school and had a dingy feel to it. The conference room would fit into an 80s movie set with little change.

The people who interviewed me through 2 rounds seemed to spend a lot of time putting down the company. I heard how it was behind the times and disorganized and how difficult it was for technology to work with upper management. If this was their sales pitch to new employees, I'd be crazy to join.

Compensation was ridiculously low compared to the level of experience they are seeking, leading me to believe there is little value placed on employees.

I've heard that contractors have been treated horribly by this company, and as someone who has done contracting, that turned me off. Being a contractor does not mean you're a second class citizen.

Some research on benefits showed they were below market. Providing gap insurance is not the same as providing a usable medical plan. And 2 weeks vacation is kind of cheesy when other tech companies are more progressive. Again, employees seem under valued at this company.

Despite looking for a new job, I was very happy to cross Glynlyon off my list.

Appears company morale is an issue if your technology managers are trashing your company to prospective recruits.

Paying below market means you hire below market. If you're planning on investing in training to raise people's skills, that's fine, but don't expect experienced people to jump at your company.

I'd suggest doing some real hard looking at your technology managers who may be running your company into the ground with their own egos and seeing upper management as roadblocks to their success. Almost looks like disloyalty to a prospective employee.

Short sighted bureaucracy and infuriating systems to program in.

I have been working at Glynlyon as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is casual and the work is steady

Cons

The web systems are horribly and inefficiently developed and working in them is an effort in futility.
    Management is slow to take action on important issues.
    Contractors are treated poorly

Fix the problems that are occurring instead of sidestepping the issues until they're forced to be fixed.

There are newer employer reviews for Glynlyon

Worked for Glynlyon? Contribute to the Community!