GoDaddy

www.godaddy.com

Good Pay, Non-Workaholics need not apply

A Smaller Department (Former Employee) Gilbert, AZ

ProsGood Pay, Good Benefits after you become full-time, Paid Training. Regular contests for good performance-- some cash prizes even. Subsidized (hot) box lunches and vending machines.

ConsHow long have you got? Get used to the "Good 'ol Boy" culture and you will NEVER, EVER, get a "straight" answer-- on anything. Learn to tolerate: "Well, you could have/should have/would have said/done ________."

Sell your Momma's soul if you have to if you don't want to be fired. One guy on my team got fired three days before Christmas because he wasn't selling-- and he was a WHIZ at hosting calls. Ever since the merger, the employees started getting.....squeezed....to put it nicely. Middle management got shuffled around before I left and I wasn't encouraged by the experience. Non-workaholics need not apply-- they are downright anal about the amount of time you spend on the phone too. Please note: Any bonuses or other considerations that you receive (INCLUDING YOUR BONUS CHECK) are termed "discretionary" and can be taken away from you-- retroactively even-- at any time. I did in fact win a contest ($300) and spent about half the money. At the time I had about half the money left on the card when I was discharged. I found out later that they canceled that cared THAT day when I was dismissed. Word to the wise.

Talking to people on the phone is in another world. You still get to meet some great people but you also get to meet some real losers-- and they already now that you cannot hang up on them without getting FIRED in the middle of your shift. True story....there was the guy who called me up with a business idea and really wanted some advice: "Seriously. As a man would you consider buying adult gear-- used-- on the Internet? It would be washed, of course." No joke. And of course he didn't even buy anything after wasting a good three phone calls worth of my time. Another guy (from another country I will not mention) called me a thief.... Quote: "The only breach in my security is when I'm giving you my credit card information over the phone." End Quote. Yes, he called me a thief. Okay....I wasn't happy about it but it was "customer service"-- suck it up and drive on. Then the pinhead insulted my intelligence and said: "Nothing personal." Man to man you call me a thief that's fine because I know that I'm not. Don't think of me as an idiot....calling me a thief is
*personal*. That's the stuff you have to deal with on the phone at GoDaddy. And EVERYONE
starts off on the phones. Last I heard they changed the guidelines for QA (They lie...ALL the phone calls are ALWAYS recorded for the ENTIRE phone call) but at the time I was juggling FIVE different metrics-- sales ($350 per day on average, minimum), average call handle time (14 minutes or less on average), and First Call Resolution (around 80% if I remember correctly and that means that each customer can't call back for THREE days to qualify) to name a few.

Ya really wanna know what the job is like? You go to McDonald's, right? Say you order your meal and you get back to your table. Come to find out, your burger isn't quite right-- so you come back to the counter. My job was to fix your burger if possible-- (that's not a given) and at the same time sell you some fries (renew your products) or better still-- sell you a shake (a product that you didn't order in the first place, "new" business). AND....you have to do that in fourteen minutes or less AFTER you get the customer in their account (they ALWAYS lose their password). Now that's not all! Regularly you get these calls from well meaning but techno-retarded people that think they
know something about a computer. They buy WebSite Tonight-- a template based editor for building web pages. What winds up happening is that they try to use it and make a mess of it-- then the call you up and EXPECT you to build their entire web site for them because they are convinced that they are paying YOU, YOUR salary (so they think). Are you supposed to? No, of course not, and management will chastise you for doing it. Technically you are "taking food off the plate" of the Dream Design Services Team. SHOULD you have to do it? No, of course not. BUT....you CAN'T hang up on a customer or they WILL fire you if they catch you doing it. Whaddya do? You wind up building at least a web page (there goes an hour of your time that you might be talking to someone who might want to buy something) JUST to get them off the phone.

If you still want the job-- pluck your liver out without anesthetic if you have to but get off the sales floor. It's a meat grinder. Just before I left I was talking with one of the security guards and at the time he commented to the effect of that he saw two people get fired EVERY day for the last year. No wonder why he wanted to leave at the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the investors? Seriously....get upper management to LEAVE FANTASYLAND when it comes to "setting the expectation" regarding employee performance. REGULARLY I would be on the phone with someone and they would get upset because EVERY time they called, someone would try to sell them something. EVERY time.

Opinion of the CEO? I was there for over two years and I never made it high up enough the food change to really make a difference either way. Recommend this job to a friend? Yeah, sure if you really need the money or you really are a "career" salesman and want to go to Outbound or possibly Billing.

Great place to learn and grow your technical skills

Engineer (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Lots of room to move around the company. Potential for good work life… Cons: Management is a little weird here. If you get stuck with a bad manager your in for a ride and there isn't much protection for… Advice to Senior Management: Pay your internal employees better so we can keep the talent we've trained. Don't let bad… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good learning experience but can be stressful.

Customer Support (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than a year

Pros: Benefits and opportunities to move up in the company ONLY… Cons: Sell, sell, sell. If you are a used car salesman,… Advice to Senior Management: Management needs to reward customer service goals instead of sales… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on GoDaddy.

Worked for GoDaddy? Contribute to the Community!