So incredibly frustrating

Current Employee - Sadly, afraid to say... in Scottsdale, AZ
Current Employee - Sadly, afraid to say... in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Go Daddy has an unlimited vacation policy, their managers takes their teams out once a quarter for team building, decent benefits. Pay (if you are coming from the outside) is pretty solid, though raises are anemic at best. The new review system should remove the much-hated bell curve scoring process. Some managers are still trying to make things work. The CEO is rock-solid and absolutely believes in GD and knows what we need to do to make it awesome....but....

Cons

- There is NO communication between the Senior Leaders. Those leaders then tell us what they want done, but don't spend the time, energy, money, or provide direction on how those things should happen. It doesn't get better moving down the ladder from there.
- No environmental standardization, little testing, and too much work to do
- Company is trying to go public. This means no money for anything. This will only get worse as we get closer to that acrid goal.
- Work life balance is non-existent in my department. My boss expects an answer any time, day or night. Emails are often sent at 9am, and you'll get questioned about why you've not answered them already.
- Promotions are non-existent company-wide. The company has hired externally almost exclusively for the last year.
- "Old School" Go Daddy folks (people that have been here more than 5-7 years) will push you to cut corners. Any pushback and you'll be labeled as "not agile".
- Developers rule this place. Any other teams are secondary at best.
- Environment of fear. If you cause an outage, expect you'll be terminated for something unrelated not long afterwards.
- Change control team were all terminated, so little in the way of controls
- Monitoring team was gutted, so very little monitoring or alerting

Advice to Management

Stop rewarding cut corners. If you don't invest in the guts of your company, you can't be surprised when they break. If you don't invest in your people's well being, you can't be surprised then they leave. Stop giving us the end result and start telling us how, exactly, we will get there. Just saying you want something to happen doesn't make it appear out of thin air.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Interesting place to work

Former Employee - Customer Development Team in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Development Team in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The starting pay was good for the time , but i believe itr may have been lowered since i worked there. Good benefits. Hiring process may be a bit awkward with multiple tests include a skill and some sort of standardized hiring test, but i understand its fairly easy to pass. Holiday parties are huge and usually a fun time, plenty of vacation and

Cons

When i was hired I was told it was for tech support and once i was a week in it was clear it was sales based, so just be aware. you will be given enough time to pick up the swing of things but if you really don't want to do sales then any of the entry level positions aren't for you.

requirements and procedures used to constantly change, but with new investors things may have changed

Who's your Micro-Daddy ?

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool Logo and Danica Sue Patrick

Cons

Identity crisis. They don't know what they want to be when they grow up.
    Serious lack leadership ( there was one guy who "got it" and he's gone)
    Waaaaaaay to many chiefs, not enough Indians. The CEO is good, but some of the folks he's brought in are doing significant damage. He's basically trusting the wrong folks...

Advice to Management

Go public FAST, the clock is ticking for many of your key folks