There are newer employer reviews for Godiva Chocolatier

Small Store

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Novi, MI
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Novi, MI

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get Paid every Friday
Small group of people that you work with.
Nice employees that treat you with a lot of respect.

Cons

No one to switch shifts with
A really small store no where to be by yourself....People always in your face

146 Other Employee Reviews for Godiva Chocolatier (View Most Recent)

"Chocolatier"= Sales Associate

Current Employee - Chocolatier= Sales Associate  in  Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Chocolatier= Sales Associate in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Get to try all new products that come out, great discount of 40%.

Cons

Management is incredibly uncommunicative. Complaints to HR will not be taken seriously, even when they deal with serious issues. I was a part time associate who had been there for 2.5 years and at the end of the holiday season I was not given hours for 2 months because my manager considered me to be "seasonal." He instead gave all of my hours to the people he hired no more than a month prior.

Be more communicative about expectations, and have more realistic goals for your associates. Know that when an associate has been working at one store for a while, that means they like their job. Do not make them start hating their job by being unappreciative of everything they've given.

Great culture, poor management.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier part-time for more than a year

Pros

*Great co-workers and customers
    *Rewards program that doesn't use a points system
    *40% discount for employees
    *Wide variety of job duties

Cons

*Incompetent and sometimes blatantly unethical management
    *Little to no checks and balances in management
    *Elitist attitude within management which results in many serious issues brought forward by employees being ignored
    *Management is often hired from outside the company, poorly trained, and dropped in the laps of employees who shouldn't be required to train people above their pay grade
    *Most communication is done through emails and conference calls that are often more social on a personal than a professional level
    *Management frequently violates the Open Door Policy and never faces consequences
    *Bonuses are often provided to people who aren't doing any of the work
    *Lower level employees (associates and keyholders, namely) are held accountable for the mistakes of their managers
    *An innovative spirit is supposedly encouraged, but is in reality beaten down in favor of what is decided in the board room
    *Many new products that are introduced don't come close to meeting the quality or popularity of old pieces that they refuse to bring back, despite customer demand
    *Not enough Sugar Free chocolate options to compete with the likes of See's and other brands
    *Difficult-to-navigate interweb system that often leaves employees frustrated and clueless
    *Inconsistency with customer rewards, such as the birthday reward program, which results in many regular customers becoming annoyed
    *A Secret Shop system that punishes employees with a 25 point deduction for being behind the chocolate case not helping a customer, despite the fact that employees are required to clock in and out on the registers and to make shakes behind the counter, which have to be immediately cleaned up
    *Retaliation for reporting issues with company policies, OSHA requirements and health codes is the norm, and is rarely looked into

*Audit stores regularly without notice. Management in the stores need to be held accountable, and if you keep giving them notice, you’re going to keep allowing them to get away with the violation of company policies, OSHA standards, and health codes.
    *Do exit interviews with ALL employees when there have been complaints regarding management within six months. People start leaving when the store atmosphere becomes toxic, but are often ignored when they bring up issues that could be easily addressed beforehand. Experienced employees keep our customers coming back!
    *Either change the Secret Shop guidelines or give employees a way to clock in and out in the back room, where it would be much easier for employees coming and going to navigate without getting in the way of those who are helping customers. Two cash registers over the holidays are difficult enough to manage with 30 minute lines of customers without employees waiting 5-10 minutes to be able to log in to eTime so they can clock in or out. Customers also fail to realize why some employees are on the register but not ringing, and become annoyed – especially over the holidays. The Secret Shop reports should be detailing our quality of customer service and the overall experience of shopping with us - not whether or not an employee was doing their job behind the counter. People care about getting knowledgeable and courteous service in a timely fashion.
    *Offer more opportunities for the hard-working employees who have dedicated themselves to Godiva to move up. It's in the best interest of all parties involved if middle management actually knows what it's like to work in the store on a day-to-day basis.
    *Don't decrease the employee discount any more, and allow employees to purchase sale items with their discount more often. We often don't know about those times until they're over because the management buries the emails letting us know about them in a binder.
    *Bring back the cheesecake truffles for the chocolate case. People come in asking for these daily.
    *Extend the Sugar Free line. We lose a lot of customers to See's, which is right across the walkway, because we only offer three small SF bars.
    *Allow more innovation with things like freshly made truffles and truffle pops. A few members of our team found a way to make them more easily, and in a way that is more appealing to customers, and were punished by management because they weren't strictly following the protocol. Whatever happened to Embrace, Inspire, Delight, Deliver?
    *Fix the interweb navigation for Godiva Now and the supply order section. We should at least have a search function, if not a more organized and easy to understand portal.
    *Give us a way to track expiration and best by dates that will integrate with our store rooms in the store. Products are not being properly rotated because employees don’t know which products came first, and management won’t allow us to leave them in the boxes we date when they come in with shipment.
    *Give ALL employees a way to review Godiva regularly. Once per year would be a good minimum, but every six months would be better. We are the foundation of the company, and shouldn’t be treated like little more than slaves selling high-end chocolate products.

There are newer employer reviews for Godiva Chocolatier

Worked for Godiva Chocolatier? Contribute to the Community!