There are newer employer reviews for Godiva Chocolatier

Train Wreck

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Aurora, IL
Former Employee - Store Manager in Aurora, IL

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The experience that I received at Godiva enabled me to land the wonderful job that I have now.

Cons

Even though you are micromanaged to the point that you wonder why they even CALL you a store manager, you still take the fall if 1. Your goals are not met, 2. You're over in payroll, 3. You have fruit flies. 4. Name it. You will have an insulting DM, a demeaning RM, and underpaid associates. You will be mystery shopped and if all the criteria is not met, you will be written up. I could go on and on but I think you get the point. In a nutshell: don't do it.

If you remotely care about the future of this company, read the Glass Door reviews.

149 Other Employee Reviews for Godiva Chocolatier (View Most Recent)

Good overall experience, mostly because of good co-worker relationships.

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relatively stress free job, no commission based selling. Small group of employees so you get to know everyone and can make life long friends. Great part time job for students.

Cons

Hours for associates are scarce and shifts are short, don't try and make a living here unless you are part of the management team. They hire management from outside the company, so you will be lucky to go from associate to management.

Promote from within to avoid confict between store management and associates. Invest in your employees and in turn, they will be more invested in the company.

Overworked with Unrealistic Expectations

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great Coworkers
    -Fun Product
    -Generally Nice Customers
    -40% Employee Discount
    -Opportunities for advancement if you're a very hard worker (mostly due to a high turnover rate)

Cons

-Upper management tries really hard to micromanage even though they're never in the store
    -Unrealistic goal expectations
    -Too much working off the clock at home (conference calls, emails, paperwork...can add up to 5-10 hours a week off the clock)
    -You never feel like you have a full day off because you're expected to micromanage your staff even when not there
    -Exceptionally low pay compared to other luxury brand companies
    -Unrealistic schedule restrictions (even seasonal minimum wage sales associates are expected to have a completely open schedule)
    -High turnover rate, especially with store managers leads to constant changes in leadership or lack of leadership in most cases

DMs NEED to work at a store at least for a full week or two. They have no idea what it's really like. They'll spend forever and a day communicating via email, but will only come to a store maybe once a month to do a review. They have no clue what our daily procedures are like and don't seem to care to learn. They're quick to bark out orders without giving them any thought or truly listening to store manager feedback. Store managers are forced to color coat how their stores are doing because the DM always needs to hear positive feedback because anything negative is going to get blamed on the store manager.

They also either need to start paying their employees more or lowering their standards. Hiring someone at $8 an hour and expecting them to have an open schedule is fine, but imagine the type of people you're hiring. They're obviously not in school and don't have anything going for them. They're not going to try that hard and it's unrealistic to compare us to Gucci (which the DM has compared us to) when you pay your employees minimum wage and expect them to have nothing else in their life going on for them.

Stop implementing this whole micromanaging technique. Teach your employees to be independent and act on their own. It's bad enough that most store managers work about 45-50 hours a week in store, but then they're constantly bombarded with emails or paperwork at home as well. It is utterly exhausting and it's no wonder we have such a high turnover rate at Godiva. It's so easy to get burnt out.

TL;DR: Godiva overworks their employees with minimum compensation and insanely unrealistic expectations. Upper management has no clue how stores actually function, but somehow tries to micromanage us anyway.

There are newer employer reviews for Godiva Chocolatier

Worked for Godiva Chocolatier? Contribute to the Community!