Godiva Chocolatier

www.godiva.com
  www.godiva.com
There are newer employer reviews for Godiva Chocolatier

Good pay for managers, challenging work place

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier

Pros

The pay was good for store managers, health benefits were really good, 50% discount for all employees on all items, got to eat free chocolate, customers enjoy being somewhere they want to be.

Cons

The product is highly overpriced, and you do feel guilty selling a $3 candy bar when they can go else where and get 3 or 4 for the same price. The brand name is tarnished, Godiva is now in major drug store chains, making a Godiva store obsolete. The sales goals were unreachable. They pushed "dipped" items (strawberries, etc) even in locations where the product didn't sell and have raised the prices on these to upwards of $7 to $9 for ONE chocolate covered strawberry. Constant emails all day from corporate and DMs. Constant floor changes with no extra payroll to complete them. When I was hired, I was told managers worked 40 hrs a week, then was scolded for not working the minimum 45 hrs required. Training is rediculous for all employees, too many videos, too many power point presentations and tests. An employee needs to shadow the store manager or senior person for at least 2 weeks before they are trained enough to be on their own. Store managers are required to go "door to door" and solicit outside businesses to purchase large quantities of chocolates to give as business gifts for employees and clients and if they spend over $600, they get a whopping 5% discount. Employees get 50% off anything, including a $3 candy bar! This is do be done on top of daily store manager responsibilities. It is also not an option, it is a requirement, in fact you are told by your DM if you do not get these large corporate sales, there is no way you will reach your sales goals.

Upper management is completely clueless to what happens at the store level. They think because the name Godiva

160 Other Employee Reviews for Godiva Chocolatier (View Most Recent)

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Key Holder in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier

Pros

disagree with the other comments about Godiva.
    I am paid well, and find my store manager professional and fun. Like the people I work with. Manager Treats us with respect. The stores seem much more focused now on learning how to sell which I enjoy. The new district manager is friendly and very approachable. Much nicer than the last one. We all talk to her often and she knows us by name and takes the time to explain the business focuses to us. Both district and store manager have talked to us about promotions. In fact, we were told there will be a district call for all assistants and key holders every work for those who want to progress. LOVE the chocolates too! :)

Cons

Sometimes there is a lot of tasking that needs to be taken care of last minute.

Keep it up... I am looking forward to growing my career in Godiva

If I had known before I came here I wouldn't have come...

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier

Pros

chocolate, interesting people, small company, pay is good, benefits are middle of the road, some genuine people that are trying to make it a good place to work,

Cons

The image of the company does not reflect working for the company, "Ivory tower" syndrom is blatently obvious, NO accountability for project management or upper management on failures, techical managers lack tact and professionalism (be little employees, interpersonal skills lacking, impose on personal time/time off), Senior management is concerned about making money and not the quality of the product, not a leader in chocolate...a follower.

Break down the ivory towers between groups and build bridges, live our way and don't just talk about it, put emphsis back on the quality of the product,

There are newer employer reviews for Godiva Chocolatier