Gold Buyers at the Mall

sloppy management and training

Former Employee - Team Member/Gold Buyer in Daytona Beach, FL
Former Employee - Team Member/Gold Buyer in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall

Pros

its a paycheck.. but not a reliable one... the mall atmosphere was always interesting. The best part was meeting and getting to know regular customers and mall employees.

Cons

the system is always going down.. which mean you can't do your job or be clocked in.. I was shorted hours and pay... The problems existed mainly at a district level.. poor management training..

Provide better training for store managers... evaluate how exactly you speak to the employees on a manager and team member level... give the employees a reasonable quota to meet.... commission structure is a joke..

13 Other Employee Reviews for Gold Buyers at the Mall (View Most Recent)

Stupid

Current Employee - General Manager in State College, PA
    Current Employee - General Manager in State College, PA

I have been working at Gold Buyers at the Mall

Pros

Pay is ok for management
    Can be fun at times

Cons

They take bad buys out of your paycheck, with no care if you can't pay your bills
    Everybody in the company is uneducated, they send emails with typos and horrible sentences and that's supposed to inspire us?? Maybe to buy them a dictionary. You have to stand for many hours at a time, and they take away your chair so there is no option to sit. They complain about not hitting numbers, but you cannot control who decides to come in and sell you gold. You have to deal with drug addicts and alcoholics who sell gold to fund their habits. They ask you to call into a conference call when you are not even supposed to be at work yet (ex. 9:30 call, when you are scheduled for a 10am-9pm shift). NO DIRECT DEPOSIT.... so you get paid on the 5th and 20th of every month, given that it is not on a weekend (then you'd have to wait) and then you still have to wait for your check to clear, which can sometimes take a few days. Just stay away, it's not worth it, you will be tired, annoyed, and have to train every couple weeks because the turnover is so high....

Direct Deposit should be a given to any company. You say that one of your mottos is "treat people right" how are you doing that when you can't even guarantee a paycheck for your people?? Stop expanding, and work on the basics of a good company, you have a long way to go....

A company with a decent idea but no follow through or funding to make it happen

Former Employee - District Manager -Upper Level Management
    Former Employee - District Manager -Upper Level Management

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall

Pros

If you are looking to get an area manager title on your resume, this may be a place to do that. However, don't be fooled into thinking there's long term growth potential. If you have any interest in learning how gold is bought and sold, this may be a good place to do that as well.

Cons

This company started off with good intentions. They hired their senior management from other large companies and had a solid plan to make it work. However, some of the initial funding wasn't provided and even though the owners had money to make adjustments, they chose not too.

The company that is currently operating is one that does so on a shoestring budget and uses little to no resources to encourage and train their staff.

Here's a short rundown on what to expect if you are going for a job interview or get hired:

Sales Associate - You will need little to no interviewing skills. If you can stand and are willing to be on your feet all day, hand out flyers and talk to customers, you will get hired. These positions only require you show up, interact and buy gold. Nothing more. But be warned, if you take this job you can be held liable for buying something fake or paying more for something than it's worth. Normally, this type of policy could be ok, but when a company does about 30 minutes of training, there's simply no reason why someone should lose their pay for this. In addition, if you are working here you will find it very hard to make any real money. Expect nothing more than 2 or 3 dollars above minimum wage.

Store/ Kiosk Manager - Interview may be a bit tougher but anyone with some retail experience could get hired to do this job.
    Very similar to the above post except you might get paid a few bucks more per hour. Management is very tough on the managers as they are expected to lead the pack and bring in customers when there may not be any. You will be held responsible for the store.

District Manager - This job will actually pay a decent salary but don't expect to earn any of the bonuses they offer. The actual interview process will be much more in depth and you will be lead to believe you will go to work for a real company. You will hear talk of expansion and future growth opportunities. Also, you may hear that this business is one that "will always be around" and during a recession everyone needs to sell their gold. This is somewhat true but the way this company does things makes it very difficult to succeed. Upper management will push you hard but will not provide all of the tools you need to succeed. In addition, expect to be asked to cover shifts at stores, do all of your own training and you can also be held liable for bad gold buys.

A few other key notes:

This company has been promoting itself as a "start up" for almost 2 years now. The biggest difference is that they don't have any real funding and cannot truly expand or provide growth without it. They do no advertising and are very limited in what they will do to help their employees.

-There are little to no benefits available. If you need health insurance, it probably won't be here. District managers may be able to have something but it won't be great.
    In addition, there was no direct deposit available when I worked there and I'm not sure if there is yet. The company does not have enough money in the bank to cover the deposits for their employees to offer this service. There are many companies that still print checks, however they do tend to get them to their employees in a more swift manner. If there is a weekend or holiday, you will get your check late. In addition, if there happens to be an error on your paycheck, you will not receive the corrected amount until the next paycheck almost 2 weeks later.

I want everyone to be aware that I'm not a disgruntled employee seeking revenge. I would love for this company to succeed. Some of the people I worked with there are still my friends and associates. That being said, when I left I wasn't even given a "Thank you for your time" or "Keep in touch". My last week of work I basically continued to do my job but my bosses wouldn't even give me the time of day, even though we were on good terms.

I decided to write this note to serve as one of caution for job seekers everywhere.

I know that times are tough in many places and any job can be viewed as a good one. However, be warned that this may not be the place for you. If you think it is, be sure you get answers to all of your questions before you start or before you leave another job. This one may burn you.

Please turn this into a "real" company if you want to succeed. I'm impressed that you are still in business but things cannot last with the way employees are "turned and burned". There are lives and careers at stake with this method and you are sending the message that you just don't care.

Think of what could be accomplished if you were able to spend money on hiring and training great, loyal employees. Think of what would happen if you advertised and drove customers to the stores, rather than having your employees do all the work at the kiosk.

This can be a very good profitable business and you could build something great here. I just hope that you are able to do it without running over too many people in the process.

There are newer employer reviews for Gold Buyers at the Mall