Unrealistic

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Huntsville, AL
Former Employee - Store Manager in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had a chance to travel with the company, and as a GM really made some things happen.

Cons

They expect way to much for current market conditions.

Start looking at what your employees are doing for your company, NOT what the numbers are saying.

Other Reviews for Gold Buyers at the Mall

Gold Buyers At The Mall is a Great company to work for

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to offer people money for broken gold jewelry they will never use again. I've helped several people pay rent, gas money, extra cash for shopping and just the overall interaction with people gets them to smile when you make their day because they are shocked how we pay the most in the local area i work at. As a manager i get to work full time 40hrs a week and have a couple or Part Timers to help out.

Cons

As long as work hard you have a solid job and paycheck otherwise won't last to long here.

Keep up the Contest and the "Original Black bags" are back they are the best. I think several of us missed them for a while keep this up and i promise our numbers will continue to rise. Thanks Danny for running a fun company to work for.

Great Idea, Poor Execution - Won't Be Around Much Longer

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time for more than a year

Pros

It can be a fun job if you like the mall setting --especially if you get a storefront vs a kiosk to run. As a manager you'll get opportunity to win some extra cash with daily contests and you can usually hire a decent staff --may take some trial and error due to the large turn over rate of the part-timers, but eventually you'll find a couple people to click.

Cons

You will get little to no support from senior management --especially in larger districts where the District Manager is constantly running from store to store. The only advertising available is in flyer form, which the company blindly thinks is the answer to all your problems: don't have enough people coming in with buys? Flyer more! Doesn't always work since the malls really tend to be dead during the weekdays, and only really pick up Fri-Sun.

The company also doesn't offer direct deposit, as they cannot keep a large enough cash balance on hand to cover such a service. Instead employees get their paychecks on the weekend, and get to wait two days for the balance to show in their accounts after deposit.

The biggest con however has to do with the way this company is run. At one point, corporate bragged at having over 200 locations across the country - now the number is around half that amount. This is a business that doesn't forgive growing pains very easily. If a store has a good year, and a good profit margin, it's expected goals will go up the next year. Those goals will steadily go up until they reach a point that the store cannot meet those goals. Also, if a store with a proven track record starts failing due to poor management, common sense would dictate that you replace that manager with a better one and let them turn the location around. Unfortunately, the company (or I should say, the president) has no patience with these kinds of business basics. Even if the location in question is beginning to recover, it will most likely be shut down under the new manager due to the actions of the previous one.

This is a young company run by a young, inexperienced president who doesn't seem to understand basic business principles, or the concepts of growth and investment - and it shows. A basic Google search can pull up any number of lawsuits in regards to the company's business practices and labor violations. I predict that this company will continue to fail as the economy starts to recover. At this point most pawn shops and coin dealers can already beat their prices, and Gold Buyers doesn't have second-hand sales to fall back on when people stop bringing their gold to them.

One of the company's many mantras is "Lead from the front" --basically stating that it's management's responsibility to lead & inspire the workers into performing better. Well, how about actually doing just that folks? So far what I've learned from this company's "leadership" is that they only care about how much money the handful of the people at the top can make at the expense of those that work for them. Their full-time workers barely make a living wage and have little to no benefits with no job security. Maybe if their president had some real-world job experience when it comes to actually managing people, there wouldn't be such a high turnover rate at the managerial level. Basic economics & people skills would go a long way here.

There are newer employer reviews for Gold Buyers at the Mall.

Worked for Gold Buyers at the Mall? Contribute to the Community!