Gold Buyers at the Mall

www.goldbuyersatthemall.com
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for Gold Buyers at the Mall

A company with a decent idea but no follow through or funding to make it happen

Former Employee - District Manager -Upper Level Management
Former Employee - District Manager -Upper Level Management

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall

Pros

If you are looking to get an area manager title on your resume, this may be a place to do that. However, don't be fooled into thinking there's long term growth potential. If you have any interest in learning how gold is bought and sold, this may be a good place to do that as well.

Cons

This company started off with good intentions. They hired their senior management from other large companies and had a solid plan to make it work. However, some of the initial funding wasn't provided and even though the owners had money to make adjustments, they chose not too. The company that is currently operating is one that does so on a shoestring budget and uses little to no resources to encourage and train their staff. Here's a short rundown on what to expect if you are going for a job interview or get hired: Sales Associate - You will need little to no interviewing skills. If you can stand and are willing to be on your feet all day, hand out flyers and talk to customers, you will get hired. These positions only require you show up, interact and buy gold. Nothing more. But be warned, if you take this job you can be held liable for buying something fake or paying more for something than it's worth. Normally, this type of policy could be ok, but when a company does about 30 minutes of training, there's simply no reason why someone should lose their pay for this. In addition, if you are working here you will find it very hard to make any real money. Expect nothing more than 2 or 3 dollars above minimum wage. Store/ Kiosk Manager - Interview may be a bit tougher but anyone with some retail experience could get hired to do this job. Very similar to the above post except you might get paid a few bucks more per hour. Management is very tough on the managers as they are expected to lead the pack and bring in customers when there may not be any. You will be held responsible for the store. District Manager - This job will actually pay a decent salary but don't expect to earn any of the bonuses they offer. The actual interview process will be much more in depth and you will be lead to believe you will go to work for a real company. You will hear talk of expansion and future growth opportunities. Also, you may hear that this business is one that "will always be around" and during a recession everyone needs to sell their gold. This is somewhat true but the way this company does things makes it very difficult to succeed. Upper management will push you hard but will not provide all of the tools you need to succeed. In addition, expect to be asked to cover shifts at stores, do all of your own training and you can also be held liable for bad gold buys. A few other key notes: This company has been promoting itself as a "start up" for almost 2 years now. The biggest difference is that they don't have any real funding and cannot truly expand or provide growth without it. They do no advertising and are very limited in what they will do to help their employees. -There are little to no benefits available. If you need health insurance, it probably won't be here. District managers may be able to have something but it won't be great. In addition, there was no direct deposit available when I worked there and I'm not sure if there is yet. The company does not have enough money in the bank to cover the deposits for their employees to offer this service. There are many companies that still print checks, however they do tend to get them to their employees in a more swift manner. If there is a weekend or holiday, you will get your check late. In addition, if there happens to be an error on your paycheck, you will not receive the corrected amount until the next paycheck almost 2 weeks later. I want everyone to be aware that I'm not a disgruntled employee seeking revenge. I would love for this company to succeed. Some of the people I worked with there are still my friends and associates. That being said, when I left I wasn't even given a "Thank you for your time" or "Keep in touch". My last week of work I basically continued to do my job but my bosses wouldn't even give me the time of day, even though we were on good terms. I decided to write this note to serve as one of caution for job seekers everywhere. I know that times are tough in many places and any job can be viewed as a good one. However, be warned that this may not be the place for you. If you think it is, be sure you get answers to all of your questions before you start or before you leave another job. This one may burn you.

Advice to Management

Please turn this into a "real" company if you want to succeed. I'm impressed that you are still in business but things cannot last with the way employees are "turned and burned". There are lives and careers at stake with this method and you are sending the message that you just don't care. Think of what could be accomplished if you were able to spend money on hiring and training great, loyal employees. Think of what would happen if you advertised and drove customers to the stores, rather than having your employees do all the work at the kiosk. This can be a very good profitable business and you could build something great here. I just hope that you are able to do it without running over too many people in the process.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Unfulfilled Promises

Former Employee - General Manager in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Natick, MA

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hired quickly at a decent rate

Cons

Was promised an Area Manager position prior to starting. I was told to work as a GM to learn the business and maximize the location. I held up my end seeing as our location was top ranked within the district. They hired someone else and I left for a better job vs the Area Mgr. position after giving notice immediately. You approach every person at the mall with flyers all day every day as an associate and little management work if you are a GM.

Advice to Management

They were wrongfully taking money out of paychecks of associates who bought fake jewelry by mistake when they should have made a better effort to engage employees with effective communication, train more thoroughly with better material and ensure proper supplies are in place to keep knowledgeable employees/lower turnover, in turn also keeping bad buys down and margins up.

2. Completely unrealistic expectations

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The (very few) people that I worked with were enjoyable and the local work environment was very laid back.

Cons

The upper levels of management expected far too much to come from the small booth that we operated. There were many days when the number of flyers that they wanted us to hand out exceeded the number of people that walked past the stand. Instead of providing suggestions for how to get more flyers out they just berated us every day. I also ended up being the only associate at the booth after working there for about a week, and there were times when I had to skip classes because my manager had been called away to somewhere else. Lastly, the commission from sales is a joke unless you work at one of the larger stores. At the booth I worked at it was impressive if you made more than a dollar extra.

Advice to Management

You need to learn to respect all of your employees. It was incredible how rude the management was to employees because location was not as lucrative as had been expected.