There are newer employer reviews for Golder Associates

Wonderful bosses that care to see me progress while allowing me the room to be self-motivated.

Current Employee - Geochemist in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Geochemist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Variety of projects, safe community, and willingness to provide help to lower level staff. Good office manager

Cons

Stuffy office structure. Needs better lighting

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

positive experience

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very bright co workers, challenging projects, excellent opportunities for travel

Cons

health benefits are expensive, office locations are limited in the US, senior guidance can be limited

Advice to Management

no thank you

Great talent, interesting projects, mixed management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

At Golder we work with talented, dedicated people at all technical levels. Clients come to us with challenging projects that often require unique solutions. The flat structure gives the opportunity to work with and learn from senior staff - if you are willing to take the initiative. There is a lot of room to design your own career path and develop your own practice within the Golder umbrella. Senior leaders are usually heavily involved in technical projects, unlike some companies where you get little involvement by the senior staff with real project work. Implementation of an industry-leading health and safety culture is gradually coming to be. While we still have work to do, global collaboration on international projects does occur. Collaboration is mainly based on the personal connections between Principals, but there are great opportunities to contribute to projects around the world.

Cons

Management is struggling with how to implement a vision for continued growth and integration of operations across geographic boundaries. Messages to line staff are often mixed - we want to invest for growth, but can't have any excess capacity to respond to opportunities. Senior staff are expected to lead, mentor, and develop business - but on their own time while still carrying a full load of project work. The Principal and Associate structure is perceived as a "club." Principals share relatively little leadership opportunity or decision-making with Associates and other senior practitioners. Leadership from Principals is often from behind closed doors.

Advice to Management

Think through initiatives from beginning to end, then chart the course to get to the goal rather than just starting and "seeing how it goes." Communicate the path clearly to all levels in the organization, not just the vision. Gain buy-in from senior Principals in advance. The somewhat sad fact is that management cannot make moves without consent from a relatively small group of vocal, senior Principals. This weakens management's ability to modernize structure and achieve the stated vision. Sell the benefits of change - why we should make the effort in terms of business outcomes, career development etc. Don't just talk about change as an end in itself. Cut down the number of initiatives carried on in parallel. Strive for quality of outcome and quick implementation in series. Be consistent in communications and expectations. Set realistic goals and give employees at all levels the tools and opportunities to achieve those goals.