Good company

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Very competitive * Work with a lot of talented people

Cons

* Big company issues - sometimes things get lost in transition

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Fast paced and challenging work with a bunch of people with great work ethic

Former Employee - Senior Analyst Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast faced; challenging; ability to make an impact; meritocracy; lack of politics at the rank and file level. The company gives a lot of opportunities for people who want to excel. But at the end of the day, you need to be a team player. If you are not, you are out.

Cons

Bad work-life balance; reduced pay and bonuses due to new regulations. Bonuses are not awarded equally between business and federation functions (like operations, technology etc) due to which there's some resentment.

Advice to Management

Better compensation to support areas like Technology. No longer on par with what Silicon Valley pays for the same skills

In the words of the man who threatened to fire me, "This place isn't for everyone".

Former Employee - Financial Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Financial Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Goldman offers fantastic training seminars that anyone is welcome to attend. Also, I really did feel like I was learning from the best in the banking industry. The wealth of knowledge that the business leaders have is unbelievable, and if you can manage to schedule some time with them, you'll probably learn more about the industry than you could anywhere else.

Cons

Constant fear. Every person in the office I worked in in Salt Lake knew that only a few missteps could cost them their job. Once a year management picks a bunch of employees they want to replace and walks them out the door (keep in mind, these are all brilliant, hard-working people). Management will remind you of these routine expulsions as means of motivation. Working at Goldman is an intense scramble to be better than your co-workers, because you know that if they happen to be better than you, you will be treated as expendable. I was more anxious and stressed at Goldman than I've ever been in my career, and developed constant, throbbing headaches and had a very hard time sleeping. If management thinks they can replace you with someone better, they won't hesitate to do it. Firing dedicated employees is a very common and cavalier occurrence at Goldman. A culture of rudeness and extreme passive-aggressive behavior is pervasive throughout the company. If someone thinks you aren't important, they often won't respond to your e-mails or calls, regardless of how desperately you need their help. This kind of behavior is completely accepted. Also, expect business leaders to be extremely critical and demanding.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to treat employees like people who have lives and families and dreams; not as objects to be used up and disposed of when they no longer meet the needs of the company's "High Value Location". (This is a term used at Goldman in reference to offices in Bangalore, Salt Lake City, and Dallas where employees are cheap.)