Goldman Sachs

There are newer employer reviews for Goldman Sachs

Good company

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Very competitive
* Work with a lot of talented people

Cons

* Big company issues - sometimes things get lost in transition

1841 Other Employee Reviews for Goldman Sachs (View Most Recent)

In the words of the man who threatened to fire me, "This place isn't for everyone".

Former Employee - Financial Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Financial Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Goldman offers fantastic training seminars that anyone is welcome to attend. Also, I really did feel like I was learning from the best in the banking industry. The wealth of knowledge that the business leaders have is unbelievable, and if you can manage to schedule some time with them, you'll probably learn more about the industry than you could anywhere else.

Cons

Constant fear. Every person in the office I worked in in Salt Lake knew that only a few missteps could cost them their job. Once a year management picks a bunch of employees they want to replace and walks them out the door (keep in mind, these are all brilliant, hard-working people). Management will remind you of these routine expulsions as means of motivation. Working at Goldman is an intense scramble to be better than your co-workers, because you know that if they happen to be better than you, you will be treated as expendable. I was more anxious and stressed at Goldman than I've ever been in my career, and developed constant, throbbing headaches and had a very hard time sleeping. If management thinks they can replace you with someone better, they won't hesitate to do it. Firing dedicated employees is a very common and cavalier occurrence at Goldman.

A culture of rudeness and extreme passive-aggressive behavior is pervasive throughout the company. If someone thinks you aren't important, they often won't respond to your e-mails or calls, regardless of how desperately you need their help. This kind of behavior is completely accepted. Also, expect business leaders to be extremely critical and demanding.

My advice would be to treat employees like people who have lives and families and dreams; not as objects to be used up and disposed of when they no longer meet the needs of the company's "High Value Location". (This is a term used at Goldman in reference to offices in Bangalore, Salt Lake City, and Dallas where employees are cheap.)

worst experience ever. I regret stepping into this so called best company to work for. It is an illusion on paper.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are spoiled with big salaries, big bonus, perks and rewards here and there.

Cons

Major back stabbing, hierarchy issues still at play, assistants are miserable, old, have festered and cranky. No room for growth whatsoever for the assistants. Profanity usage runs galore. There is no confidentiality. You can hear everything about the client being discussed by employees even when they are bad mouthing the client.

Nothing or nobody can save anybody. Not even the man above.

There are newer employer reviews for Goldman Sachs