Goldman Sachs

www.goldmansachs.com
  www.goldmansachs.com
There are newer employer reviews for Goldman Sachs

Membership to this fraternity is the greatest feeling in the universe.

Former Employee - Summer Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Summer Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely incredible workforce. I was a high-energy physicist and cancer researcher and those environments paled in comparison to the staggering intellectual horsepower of the collective firm. The collaborative nature of the teamwork culture is absolutely true.

Egos are squashed the moment they surface. If you're pure Alpha One (as in, you care only about yourself) and hope that TPG/BX/Silver Lake will poach you before your rampant parasitism is exposed, I am afraid you're mistaken. You will be humbled, and that educational experience was so, so very valuable to me.

Cons

Brutal, so very brutal, hours. The worst part is: the MDs and VPs aren't issuing these orders. There is such a tremendous pressure to succeed and perform, interns and first-years voluntarily kill themselves with 100-120hr workweeks out of fear of their peers eclipsing them. Let me attempt to clarify. We were never given assignments (e.g. inane clerical revisions) that forced us to clock those ridiculous hours. No, we stayed up, scouring the internal knowledge transfer database to glean additional Excel skills and valuation techniques that would give us any salient advantage over another Summer Analyst.

Absolutely no perks at the regional level (no free gym, no free food, etc.), so the siren song of startups will be a menacing tease if you're operating on the West Coast. Training was useless, except for a motivational video at the tail-end. In certain, less prestigious divisions (GIR, PWM, etc.) you're dead to them if you don't accept their end-of-summer full-time offer, as they consider it a personal affront to their sensibilities.

Every Summer Analyst hired for the revenue-generating divisions ("front office") is extremely qualified, socially-adept, and supremely intelligent. Why make us compete Hunger Games-style for an artificially-low number of full-time offers when we already made it past the initial screen? Internal mobility could use more permeability. Sometimes, the HR and Business Unit Manager (BUM)

1850 Other Employee Reviews for Goldman Sachs (View Most Recent)

Demanding but rewarding experience with upward mobility for strong performers

Former Employee - Financial Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Significant responsibility given to junior employees, with opportunity for career advancement
    *Highly competent colleagues that are both intelligent and efficient
    *Offers much better than average pay relative to comparable positions at other firms

Cons

*Work/life balance could still use improvement, though hours are largely manager dependent and similar to that of other firms
    *Bureaucracy and internal politics make the work environment fairly stressful at times

*Focus more on the internal culture and ensure external hires are integrated smoothly
    *Provide an easier path to dialogue with management for junior employees with direct manager issues

Summer Analyst

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern

Pros

Great environment that motivates ppl to learn, team oriented, friendly and helpful senior leaders

Cons

Nothing I could complain instead of the hours but thats ubiquitous throughout the industry

There are newer employer reviews for Goldman Sachs