Goldman Sachs

www.goldmansachs.com
  www.goldmansachs.com
There are newer employer reviews for Goldman Sachs

You are in control of your career

Current Employee - Analyst/Developer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Analyst/Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

You are in control of your career - I think the phrase above comes from some HR brochure, but it's largely true at Goldman. Your promotions (and to a large extent your compensation) are based almost entirely on your performance, not some set schedule or years of experience. Those who have excellent performance are promoted rapidly and their compensation increases far beyond what an average salary might be in the this field. Those whose performance is poor or average are asked to leave the firm, so you are always left working with only the best people.

The technology organization is surprisingly agile and people can quickly move between projects as business priorities change. There is very little tolerance for wasteful work or projects that do not serve a clear business purpose. There are 3 general job roles people can perform in technology at GS based on their skills and interests, with a focus on business analysis at one and of the spectrum and focus on tech infrastructure at the other end. Putting people in these roles creates people who are highly skilled experts in a specific area and reduces the number of inefficient "jacks of all trades".

Cons

There are some day-to-day politics which reduce the efficiency of the organization, but to a much smaller extent than at other firms. Some people don't like the amount of work or the long hours, but I feel they might just be working for the wrong firm.

Work-life balance is overrated. Let people who want to work long hours work long hours. Let people who want to leave early leave early. We do it because we enjoy the work, and working harder and longer translates into better service for our clients and the firm. And there is nothing wrong with rewarding people who work harder vs. those who do not.

1850 Other Employee Reviews for Goldman Sachs (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Vice President Technology in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President Technology in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Open environement, few boundaries between management layers

Cons

High expectations, can lead to long hours

Incease transparency on vision

Hard working culture but less team building and morale building activities

Current Employee - Vice President Technology in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President Technology in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Objective evaluation of individual efforts . . .
    Hard working and smart people around you . . .
    Good pay and benefits

Cons

People are less important in most teams than the goals which is not sustainable in long term ... . . .

Pay more attention to building people relations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

There are newer employer reviews for Goldman Sachs