Goldman Sachs
3.7 of 5 1,591 reviews
www.goldmansachs.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

You are in control of your career

Analyst/Developer (Current Employee)
New York, NY

ProsYou are in control of your career - I think the phrase above comes from some HR brochure, but it's largely true at Goldman. Your promotions (and to a large extent your compensation) are based almost entirely on your performance, not some set schedule or years of experience. Those who have excellent performance are promoted rapidly and their compensation increases far beyond what an average salary might be in the this field. Those whose performance is poor or average are asked to leave the firm, so you are always left working with only the best people.

The technology organization is surprisingly agile and people can quickly move between projects as business priorities change. There is very little tolerance for wasteful work or projects that do not serve a clear business purpose. There are 3 general job roles people can perform in technology at GS based on their skills and interests, with a focus on business analysis at one and of the spectrum and focus on tech infrastructure at the other end. Putting people in these roles creates people who are highly skilled experts in a specific area and reduces the number of inefficient "jacks of all trades".

ConsThere are some day-to-day politics which reduce the efficiency of the organization, but to a much smaller extent than at other firms. Some people don't like the amount of work or the long hours, but I feel they might just be working for the wrong firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance is overrated. Let people who want to work long hours work long hours. Let people who want to leave early leave early. We do it because we enjoy the work, and working harder and longer translates into better service for our clients and the firm. And there is nothing wrong with rewarding people who work harder vs. those who do not.

Great place to work

Vice President Technology (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros: Open environement, few boundaries between management layers Cons: High expectations, can lead to long hours Advice to Senior Management: Incease transparency on vision Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Hard working culture but less team building and morale building activities

Vice President Technology (Current Employee)
    Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros: Objective evaluation of individual efforts . . . Hard working and… Cons: People are less important in most teams than the goals… Advice to Senior Management: Pay more attention to building people relations . . . . .… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Goldman Sachs.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!

Goldman Sachs – Why Work for Us?

We bring together people, capital and ideas to produce solutions and results for our clients by playing a number of roles: financial advisor, lender, investor and asset manager. A commitment to integrity, team work and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goldman Sachs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein. All reviews posted anonymously by Goldman Sachs employees.