There are newer employer reviews for Goldman Sachs

Goldman Sachs - great privilege to work there

Current Employee - Research Vice-President in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Research Vice-President in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Very flat structure
Truly great teamwork culture
People are always impressive personally and professionally
Senior managers very accessible to everyone

Cons

Long hours can be the case

Senior management always impressive but some heads of teams lack people management skills and appear at times to have been promoted for their commercial impact and not their leadership skills

1765 Other Employee Reviews for Goldman Sachs (View Most Recent)

In finance, one of the best places to be at some point in your career

Former Employee - Vice President in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Vice President in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

1) Outstanding reputation, 2) higher than average talent pool, 3) compensation, 4) subsequent job opportunities. It's like going to an Ivy League school, it is easier to better yourself when you are amongst highly motivated and smart people. Your CV also advertises to the rest of the world that you possess a certain baseline level of competance.

Cons

1) Work-life balance (I never cared about balance so I wasn't bothered, but it did bother other people), 2) internal politics (however, nearly all corporate environments are political). On the other hand, if you do your job and make money, you will be rewarded.

I genuinely enjoyed communicating with Senior Management. In fact, I wish more people in the organization were like them. The only comment I would make is that in a big organization, sometimes very talented people get buried in the noise (usually lower level politics) if they don't have a guru. And given that these talented people always have other options available to them, they will leave after 1-2yrs if they are fed up. It is a loss of human capital that should be prevented. Punchline: identify and assign someone to look out for them (not hand-holding, just some guidance when necessary).

Goldman Sachs - A great place to work

Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

I work with some of the smartest people in the world. Everyone is 100% dedicated at GS. Additionally, the level of communication is outstanding with everyone knowing what's going on at any one time. We tend to have a lot of meetings which can be viewed as negative (analysis paralysis some might say), but I find it very helpful. Everyone gets involved in the approval process this way, and everyone's voice is heard. The flattened hierarchy at GS avoids all the beauracracy and people can get down to work without worrying about the "proper" chain of command. And lastly, the technical systems that have been built by in-house GS personnel are some of the most advanced and useful pieces of software in the industry.

Cons

Nothing really important that would warrant a comment.

Keep up the good work!