There are newer employer reviews for Golfsmith

Good company that could be Great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Golfsmith full-time for less than a year

Pros

I liked working here, the hours were ideal and the people were great. If you love the game of golf and like getting paid to talk about it all day, then this is the job for you.

Cons

The lack of communication between one department to the next makes it difficult to resolve the customer's issue. This ultimately escalates one situation into numerous blunders. Employees are working with antiquated equipment that performs well below par. It seems that there isn't any room for growth or career advancement unless you know the right person.

Fix the website!

51 Other Employee Reviews for Golfsmith (View Most Recent)

An uphill ride followed by an even faster downhill ride.

I have been working at Golfsmith

Pros

Surrounding yourself with a sport you truly love. Opportunity to try the latest and greatest before anyone else. Amazing employee discount (on most merchandise).

Cons

Every negative comment I've read I'd have to agree with 100%. Lines of communication are the biggest joke on the planet. They hardly exist at all. Any advice or constructive criticism you may give to upper management is ignored. GM causes dissension within the staff by often not following through on "promises", micro-managing, and showing obvious favoritism. Don't even bother using the open door policy...another joke, or something the company has to give their staff a false sense of security. I've worked myself to the bones for years for this company and shown loyalty and dedication to its vision, even if I had disagreed with some or a lot of it, yet have gotten nothing back in return except the "you're just as replaceable as the next one" treatment. Most underpaid middle management of any major retailer, and it shows. No consistency or enforcement of policies or procedures especially store to store. If you're unfortunate enough to be looking for a retail managing job, do yourself a huge favor and look in another direction for a company that actually cares.

It's the 21st century...get with modern times. For the love of god, you don't even have PIN pads for customers to swipe their own credit cards. LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WORKING AT THE STORES. You just might learn something. Stop rewarding yourselves with bonuses and spend a little more on store payroll. Conduct confidential interviews with store staff and I guarantee you'll be surprised to learn what's really going on in some of your stores.

It's who you know

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Golfsmith full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you have a passion for golf then you will assuredly thrive as an associate or manager

Cons

Not consistent with policy enforcement. Performance is not rewarded. Favoritism is king. IT system is extremely slow, outdated and overloaded

Corporate needs to be held accountable for their mistakes, which are many. Corporate needs to listen to the store feedback to improve efficiency, margin and costs.

There are newer employer reviews for Golfsmith

Worked for Golfsmith? Contribute to the Community!