Senior Software Engineer II

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Good Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great work environment and culture. The company is poised to make good moves in the long term

Cons

Products are all enterprise so a focus is placed on QA testing and "risk" before innovation and new ideas.

Advice to Management

Place a bigger focus on innovation and mobile UI/UX

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Less thrashing than in the 'old days' but still too much. "Vision" isn't just a buzzword, folks.

Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Good Technology full-time

Pros

Forward looking; new plans, new project, lots of things getting much-needed attention. Lots of potential; the market space has lots of room for exploration. Somewhat open to change; willing to spend money and try new things.

Cons

Too forward looking; things that are imperfect, but could be fixed are dropped in favor of what's "shiny" with little or no forethought. Too much potential; still some thrashing and not enough thinking--trying to do too many things at once and not "finishing" things. Too open to change for change's sake; if you don't bother to learn from experience, nothing prevents the same mistakes from being repeated, and repeated, and repeated.

Advice to Management

Back up and work on the people skills. Talented, hard working "resources" go somewhere else because they feel ignored and unrewarded--both emotionally and financially. Yes, business goals are important, but people need to feel invested in the goals of the company/department/team if they're going to be effective. Money is nice but, frankly, emotional engagement and job satisfaction is much, much more effective at retaining the best folks and much, much cheaper in the long run. There's not enough listening going on, and it shows. If we don't make time to ensure we "all know" what we "all know" the resulting uncertainty and confusion makes everything harder. "Surprise" is the number one enemy, and there's way too much of that happening. It's infuriating to discover second hand our team is "committed" to do/be/have something without having been consulted, much less informed. (Is what they want even possible? Who knows? And they want it when?!?) Also, if I go to one more meeting where "team commitment," "value proposition," or "capacity planning" are discussed, in a non-ironic way, with absolutely no pesky "facts" to support bald assertions, I'm going to have trouble holding back the hysterical laughter. Seriously. Also, Velocity (RE Agile) is NOT something that always needs to increase. Teams need to find their stride so they can confidently deliver consistent, quality results over the long term. We're better than we were, but nowhere near good enough yet. Also... no, I think that's it right now. Thanks, Internet, for letting me rant. Arrivederci! (Note on status... "current" will soon change to former. Take that for what you will.)

Marketing Sr, Director

Current Employee - Marketing Senior, Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Senior, Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Good Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good vision where the company could be Open to listen to new ideas

Cons

Inept marketing leadership Mgmt not willing to execute changes No marketing budget but great expectation to drive digital marketing no career advancement

Advice to Management

allow for marketing changes increase marketing budget improve employee morale innovate or stagnate;