Goodrich

There are newer employer reviews for Goodrich

A Good Company With An Uncertain Future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at Goodrich full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Prior to the acquisition by United Technologies in July 2012 Goodrich was a strong, profitable company planning for continued growth. Expanding business combined with positions opening up as retiring employees age out implied some good opportunities for people coming in.

Mutual respect among employees is a core company value and Goodrich dedicates a lot of resources to training and supporting employee development. Despite a large management structure communication between levels is usually pretty open.

Employees have the opportunity to interact with some very bright people from all over the world. Some roles involve exposure to broad areas of a complex, world-wide engineering and manufacturing business. This is a great place to observe, learn, and tackle some challenging problems.

Compensation and benefits are good (not great). The office environment is relaxed and the company is generally very flexible about scheduling and personal time. 40-hour work weeks are the norm, not a fantasy. Goodrich lives up to its talk about wellness and work-life balance.

Cons

This is a big, old company with some big, old company habits and politics. The average employee age is in the late 40s or early 50s and many people have spent their entire decades-long careers with Goodrich. That speaks well to employee satisfaction but also poses a risk of institutional knowledge loss as older employees start to retire, and means that a lot of people know no other way than the Goodrich way.

The Chula Vista facility is showing its age. Many areas are unsightly and in poor condition.

Interactions with HR are sketchy.

Expectation can be disturbingly low. Under-performing individuals can hang on to employment indefinitely and are shuffled around rather than managed out. Politics are a minefield for the uninitiated and disputes can go back for years (so anyone with under 10 years of service should probably consider themselves uninitiated).

Continuous Improvement has taken on a quasi-religious status complete with clergy, incantations, and dogma. The CI practice is robust in the manufacturing context but shoe-horned awkwardly into the office. The dedication to improvement and efficiency is inspiring and the tools themselves are great, but the way the CI office mandates their application does not always fit and is prone to causing busy-work while ignoring more fundamental process flaws. Be careful about questioning the CI religion out loud, that could be a career-limiting move.

The big elephant in the room is the acquisition by United Technologies. UTC does NOT have mutual respect as a core company value and the hierarchical, secretive culture clashes with Goodrich's more open and positive environment. Arbitrary reorganizations and demotions have started in some departments and significant layoffs are in sight. People are scrambling to consolidate power and status, morale is terrible, and the lack of good information has the rumor mill running at full speed. While people "on the ground" at Goodrich and our new partner UTC division Hamilton Sundstrand are trying to make the best of a bad situation the overall attitude from UTC Corporate has been callous.

Employees need good information, sound leadership, and positive treatment to get through the acquisition. People will do the right thing if you support them. Don't gut a strong company to support short-term profit goals.

157 Other Employee Reviews for Goodrich (View Most Recent)

Interns actually mean things!

Current Employee - Intern in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at Goodrich as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The intern program here was excellent, I actually felt like I was doing something beneficial to the company as a whole and I really felt my opinion mattered.

Cons

They tended to favor students with engineering backgrounds, which I unfortunately lacked.

Keep the intern program going, even with the buy out and UTAS, I think it's a worthwhile program and really helped peak my interest in your company.

Great place to work, however, the Ithaca New York facility is closing in November of 2012.

Current Employee - Mechanical Technician II in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Mechanical Technician II in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Goodrich full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company gives each person a chance to grow and learn if they want to.

Cons

I felt the pay was on the low side for what we did.

The assembly department would have ran more efficiently if the supervisor running the department knew the process.

There are newer employer reviews for Goodrich