Goodwill

www.triadgoodwill.org
  www.triadgoodwill.org
There are newer employer reviews for Goodwill

Goodwill offers no goodwill to it's employees.

Current Employee - Cashier in Athens, GA
Current Employee - Cashier in Athens, GA

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job.
You get to go home after work.
They hire lots of minorities.

Cons

A Draconian work environment, in which employees are berated in front of other employees, and reward and punishment is handed out arbitrarily.
Employees are treated as cattle, threatened regularly, and forced to attend an hour long weekly meeting even if it they have the day off..
Worse still, is the culture of racial discrimination. And I don't use that term lightly.
If you are white, you have zero chance for advancement, and you have a huge bullseye on your back.
And sooner or later they find a way to get rid of you.
Same thing happens if you have been there long enough to make more than minimum wage .
And forget overtime. If you work overtime, they just have you come in late another day or leave early.

First of all, realize that your employees are a needed resource and not a necessary evil.
Second, stop the illegal racial discrimination rampant in most of the stores.
Third, bring Goodwill into this century. Little has changed in decades in the way Goodwill operates,
making it an inefficient business model. Last, hire from within.

703 Other Employee Reviews for Goodwill (View Most Recent)

Look Out For Yourself Because No One Else Will

Current Employee - Production in Redmond, OR
    Current Employee - Production in Redmond, OR

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady paycheck is nice. Good benefits once you become elagible for them. Good feeling to be putting used stuff to good use.

Cons

Keep your mouth shut. If you say negetive stuff it will get back to the wrong people. At my last annual review (4th one) I got a really good review and then got an annual raise of thirty cents an hour. After taxes that might be a whole ten bucks take home a week. Seems the manager got fired before coming to work here for the way his employees got treated and is starting to do the same to some workers here. Do anything management don't like and you pay for it, with split-up days off and the worst schedules.

I think treating employeesnicer would be good for the company and good for business. It would not hurt people to give a compelment once in a while.

Cool Place To Work While Developing A Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty laid back if you come in and do your job well. If you get the right manager you don't have to worry about micromanagement however I've heard that it does happen.

Cons

They say they promote internal advancement but most of the positions are given to outside of the agency candidate. There's not a lot of youth within their workforce which reflects in their work environment not being too open to new change. Again, they say they will listen but the proof is in the pudding. Insurance sucks if you have children or large family, I don't so I don't pay much however family plans are nearly 500 per month with insurance.

Depending upon who you are speaking with many are decent but there are others are who not flexible and stuck in their ways.

There are newer employer reviews for Goodwill