Horrible Pay/ No Benefits/No chance of advancement

Former Employee - Store Associate in Jonesboro, GA
Former Employee - Store Associate in Jonesboro, GA

Pros

It is a company that "puts people to work" so they give people a chance to work there regardless of who you are or where you come from.

Cons

*No chance of Advancement *As far as a Paycheck goes.....well it doesn't go very far at all. You will recieve the minimum pay available and might not even get a pay raise the WHOLE time you're working there. EX: Try $7.25/hour for a year and still no change???come on.....One word for that.....CHEAP *OH! and NO BENEFITS....at least not any worth recieving. *Favortism must go! *Managers need to step it up (instead of relaxing in the office playing video games and listening to music) try going on the sales floor or even to the production area and helping out. Maybe even go around and get feedback from customers instead of just walking around "delegating" with your head up your ass.....something is always better than nothing.ALWAYS! *Athough delegation is key to management success and even success of the company, it doesn't mean to give someone else your work load just because you don't feel like doing it yourself....or doing anything for that matter. *No positive feedback.Try telling an employee they are doing a good job every once and a while. *Management needs to take responsibility for their actions instead of making excuses and blaming associates for their own shortcomings.....Ex:monthly budget (thats where teamwork comes to play) *Teamwork? What teamwork? people that work there are so worried about making friends.......& what other people are saying about them...GET OVER IT! IT'S A JOB! you don't need to be friends or have friends in order to get the job done. ...........Too many cons...... But HEY! it's a JOB! Even if it is a slave trade........ WORD OF AVDICE: Just be PROFESSIONAL. PROFESSIONALISM goes a long way...

Advice to Management

WORD OF AVDICE: Just be PROFESSIONAL. PROFESSIONALISM goes a long way... A manager or management should be looked up to not looked down upon...

Other Employee Reviews for Goodwill

A soap opera.

Former Employee - Associate-Albuquerque, NM in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Associate-Albuquerque, NM in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Customers are usually nice. You get a 10% discount, and it can be fun shopping/working there.

Cons

Management on a power trip, some talk down to employees. Mine did. Lot of work. Little pay or respect. Fellow employees want to quickly suck you into their personal dramas, like a vortex. You can feel them whispering behind your back, even though they don't even know you, and you've just started working there!

Advice to Management

Get real about your expectations of employees, don't take them for granted.

Disposable Jobs With No Dignity

Former Employee - Donation Attendant in Killeen, TX
    Former Employee - Donation Attendant in Killeen, TX

Pros

I like staying active and busy so the job of donation attendant fulfilled that regard very well. Also, I only reluctantly list this as a pro, but we were very knowledgeable of important issues only because they were constantly pounded into our heads as if we were in the military or prison.

Cons

I understand doing things right is expected as normal, but over time I noticed that we received almost no positive feedback from our supervisors while we were constantly threatened with firing for even uniform misdemeanors. I felt more like an inmate than an employee my entire time there. Even though we were understaffed and overworked, our supervisors reminded us repeatedly that we were expendable and replaceable. When I called in that my car broke down and I was unable to make to work, the next day I was handed a pink slip for not having a doctor's note for taking a day off. They didn't care that I wasn't sick and honesty didn't matter, company policy was company policy.

Advice to Management

Respect your subordinates as human beings, not potential liability issues. Embrace the fact that higher morale increases productivity and stop relying on the whip for everything. Don't think that routine diminishes the need to give positive feedback!