There are newer employer reviews for Goodwill

Not a good place to work

Former Employee - Associate in Willowbrook, IL
Former Employee - Associate in Willowbrook, IL

I worked at Goodwill

Pros

The people who worked there were very nice. Pay was acceptable.

Cons

I worked at the Willowbrook, IL, Goodwill store from when it opened last fall until recently.It was not a good job.

The managers seemed inexperienced. They criticized and embarassed people in fron of other workers. This is especially true of the general manager.There was little communication between the managers and sometimes it felt that we had 5 different managers with 5 different ideas on what we should do and how we should do it. There was no clear understanding of how we should do our job. There was a lot of pressure to make production goals that stressed people and caused low morale.

I wish this review could be better but it is what it is. Goodwill does good stuff for the community. I was disappointed that they don't treat their workers better.

Communicate.

631 Other Employee Reviews for Goodwill (View Most Recent)

It is a great place for people with disabilities

Current Employee - Clerk in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Clerk in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Goodwill

Pros

The support that is given to individuals with disabilities is great. The staff works together to make a positive experience for those walking through the door

Cons

The communication level from the higher ups is lacking. The amount of negative staff trying to cause problems for others who just want to serve the customers is aweful

Open the communication level to all staff. There seems to be secrets and side meetings and favoritism happening in the area. I would like better support from staff

Can be a great place to work, if your Store Manager and your Regional Director are halfway competent...

Former Employee - Retail Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Goodwill

Pros

Great employees with strong work ethic in the store. Decent pay and benefits for not requiring a college degree. Sometimes fun to work in the production area, and on a store-by-store basis supervisors can have freedom to work on their own projects (I say that with reservation...check out the store you're applying for first!) Workshops and other escapes from the daily grind were also pretty fun.

Cons

The company seems to promote mediocrity and punish those who try to make things better. I saw way too many incompetent managers last months, even years, while countless individuals who made small mistakes were immediately terminated. Employees were afraid to speak their minds (even when they would offer helpful suggestions) for fear of punishment. Store manager ruled the place with an iron fist with some of the most unintentionally hilarious rules, all of which held the manager to a different standard than all other employees at the store.

Supervisors were regularly held to the same production standards as line employees and were written up if they did not match the full-time production workers' standards (even when they spent the entire day busy with supervisory work). At the same time, when employees at my store attempted to reach out to upper-level management, they were continually ignored. Most of the "troublemakers" who found the store manager's rules to be unfair were fired before they could get their cases heard at HR.

It's a huge gamble where you get hired on as to what your working conditions will be like. Many of the store managers (and a few Regional Directors) are great and will gladly listen to employees' concerns, but one never really knows until they get hired, where they're going to be. Many good managers at the company are weighed down by the incompetent people above them. If you're looking for a guaranteed good experience in management, you'll want to do more research before you apply here.

My experience as a supervisor was apples to oranges in 2 different stores. My first store was great, but after being transferred, I found myself in a very negative working environment with no way to reach out to HR or senior management. Goodwill of SE Wisconsin needs to learn that it does have intelligent, competent employees in lower levels and should make it easier for employees to speak out about unfair practices in their stores. Employees need to have a voice (and FEEL that they are being listened to), and at present there is no way to voice one's concerns.

Without this, the company is going to face a continual "brain drain" while the best and brightest are either terminated or find better jobs as fast ast they can. Please do better to reign in your fiefdoms!

There are newer employer reviews for Goodwill