Great summer internship

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

The perks are just great, no downside, especially as an intern where I didn't really have a lot when I came. You can get or do almost anything on campus (laundry, food, car repairs, etc.). Get to work on cool/challenging projects with other smart people. I was able to make an impact almost immediately on this that were very far reaching throughout all of Google. I was also able to suggest additional improvements and implement them. This to me was amazing giving an intern the ability to suggest features and then go ahead and make them a reality. I would definitely suggest Google as a great place to intern.

Cons

Certain groups are isolated from others building to building so there isn't a lot of collaboration between teams. This sucks because I'd like to know what other projects others are working so I can know see what's going on (a lot looks like it is behind closed doors). Work-life balance doesn't really exist, as working 10+hours a day seemed to be expected with people working 8-9 hours at work and then 2+ hours at home at night. The conversion process from intern to full-time doesn't seem to be very fair and open to what's actually going on. There were very few actual intern events, I had to organize a lot myself to actually meet other interns and not just code all summer.

Don't stress working so much and be more open in general.

Other Reviews for Google

Great place to work, but it has its problems

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

great coworkers; fun and interesting projects; perks and benefits; potential to have a positive effect on many users

Cons

disorganized; not many good managers; career path unclear

do fewer things better

Great first job for software engineers, frustrating for more senior ones.

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

First and foremost, smart people. Overall I'm very impressed with the level of intelligence of just about everybody I worked with.

Second, huge datasets, huge scale, huge opportunities. Google is the place to be for working at scale, period. The tools are great and there are limitless computing resources.

Other stuff - it's still a fun environment, flexible work hours, flexible about projects to work on.

Cons

Lots of flexibility on what to work on, but the downside is that management controls the launch process. It's likely that your project may not be allowed to launch without several revisions.

Engineers used to own most product decisions, but things have shifted towards product management and upper management. Nobody seems to own broad strategic decisions - there's a strategy vacuum in many product areas.

Compensation is good, but obviously the equity situation doesn't compare to what you'd get at a proper startup. For this reason, entrepreneurs and people with big ideas are advised to look elsewhere if they have an appetite for risk / reward.

Stop hiring engineering middle-managers from outside, and promote more from within. If I had been more strongly pressured to move to management about 2 years ago I'd probably still be a Googler. The engineering ladder sounds like a good idea, but in practice there is a ceiling that cannot be broken unless an engineer happens to be on the right project at the right time. When I realized this I was sorry to have spent several years not being promoted when I could have switched to the management track and learned new skills.

Please communicate a clear and consistent strategic direction, and give us total support to execute on that strategy. Outside of search and ads, there is no agreement among the executives and other stakeholders, and this puts the product and engineering team in an impossible situation.

There are newer employer reviews for Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!