There are newer employer reviews for Google

Can be a good and bad place to work

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

yes most of the people who wanted to work at Google would think about all the perks they will get and yeah that's right. Google's benefits are pretty much the best so far I've ever recieved i.e. insurance, massage, food, etc. The people here are ones of the smartest people I've worked. Google has great products that everyone really enjoys to use.

Cons

lots of work, stress, some workers are acting a little too arrogant and look down other new employees.
It's ridiculously hard to get hired at Google. They place a premium value on your pedigree (education, GPA, even outside interests) rather than on your skills and ability to contribute on a practical level. A Stanford grad with a 4.0 GPA doesn't automatically make a better employee than a UC grad. Or even (gasp!) someone without a degree at all.

There's no career path, and no career planning. I never had a good manager, much less a mentor, the entire time I was there. The people who got promoted were the ones who kissed up and knew how to play the game.

Low salaries. I know there are a lot of perks to "make up for it," but I'd rather have the money and decide how to spend it myself. Not being a new grad fresh out of college, I didn't care about the perks.

Be open minded!
Watch the attitude. That whole "we're Google, everybody wants to work here" mindset is getting old. Consider hiring people who aren't rocket scientists.

Invest in your employees! You're great about giving them physical perks; now trying investing in their careers. Have a true performance management system. Really sit down with your employees and figure out their goals and career paths. Give them managers who are mentors and advocates.

2498 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Google is the place to work in the Tech space and should continue to be if Sr. Management makes some necessary tweaks.

Current Employee - Manager, Online Sales & Operations  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager, Online Sales & Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at Google

Pros

-- Google employees are very bright (all have Ivy Educations) and enjoy coming to work everyday. The general sense that I get from talking to other employees is that we all feel that we are making the world a better place.

Cons

-- Google is a very flat organization despite its size. As such, you really have to differentiate yourself (amongst almost universally stellar applicants) and be persistent for years before you have an opportunity to grow into an even Junior management role.

As Google becomes more focused on building products for businesses (as opposed to building products primarily for consumers), I think that Sr. Management needs to reconsider its stance on "controlled chaos" and instead focused on our newest mantra "scarcity brings clarity". In other words, big decisions should be made by Sr. Management and then trickle down to the engineering, product and sales teams.

Great benefits, the people depend on the group

Former Employee - Software Engineering  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Everyone knows they have great benefits, but apart from that they also have an amazing amount of resources, excellent process guidelines, and great information sources to improve in your work. The people are really talented, and most are willing to help you. If you land in a good group you'll have a dream job. If not, you'll be stuck in a regular job, but it will still have a lot of great things attached to it, so how is it worse or different than other jobs? The food is as great or better than what people say about it. The weather in Mountain View also helps.

Cons

People really do feel entitled. I've seen some of the pettiest, most childish and selfish behavior from Googlers. Of course they're not all like that, but it can get embarrassing to watch.
    Also, some groups really do behave like a bunch of college freshmen or even pre-schoolers. For people who have a few more years of experience, I doubt they will find this to be a comfortable work environment.
    Some people really do consider themselves to be superior to others just because they work there.

I didn't experience any problems with management

There are newer employer reviews for Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!