There are newer employer reviews for Google

Great place to work, but the contracting experience makes you feel like an outsider

Current Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great perks, work-life balance, little hierarchy, genuinely friendly coworkers, great place to network and meet future entrepreneurs, diverse workplace, LGBT friendly, open culture, smart coworkers.

Cons

As a contractor there is a lack of transparency about the opportunity for conversion to permanent roles. Also, many young colleagues complain that no other company recruits so many bright people to then put them in very low level jobs with remedial tasks.

2612 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Rough introduction followed by good job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

We are plied with small perks like espresso and organic vegetables.

Cons

The first month was very rough for me. I was given no real introduction to the company, and had to learn by fire. The security restrictions on your personal computer and network get in the way of productivity, and are generally frustrating. I need to have a field tech come to my workstation to install software that doesn't happen to be whitelisted.

Don't take away sudo on linux machines. Make Noogler classes available to contractors.

Great internship experience and responsibility, but it definitely depends on which team you're on

Former Employee - Associate Product Marketing Manager Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Very open communication from senior management all the way down to interns
    Vested interest in employees and personal development (GoogleEDU)
    Smartest / most creative people I've met

Cons

Slow recruiting and conversion process
    Such a large company that it's difficult to be organized (in terms of knowing how to get a certain piece of information or resource)

Speed up the recruiting process because you lose valuable candidates when you wait too long to give decisions

There are newer employer reviews for Google