There are newer employer reviews for Google

Great place to work, but the contracting experience makes you feel like an outsider

Current Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great perks, work-life balance, little hierarchy, genuinely friendly coworkers, great place to network and meet future entrepreneurs, diverse workplace, LGBT friendly, open culture, smart coworkers.

Cons

As a contractor there is a lack of transparency about the opportunity for conversion to permanent roles. Also, many young colleagues complain that no other company recruits so many bright people to then put them in very low level jobs with remedial tasks.

reviews filtered by

Rough introduction followed by good job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

We are plied with small perks like espresso and organic vegetables.

Cons

The first month was very rough for me. I was given no real introduction to the company, and had to learn by fire. The security restrictions on your personal computer and network get in the way of productivity, and are generally frustrating. I need to have a field tech come to my workstation to install software that doesn't happen to be whitelisted.

Advice to Management

Don't take away sudo on linux machines. Make Noogler classes available to contractors.

Interesting work and smart people, but very hierarchical

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great benefits, smart people, good connections, looks great on resume, interesting projects, provides transportation if applicable, lots of resources and funding for projects

Cons

Hierarchical, lots of levels of management, not a design focused company, "the more features the better" perspective, some copying of other startup ideas.

Advice to Management

focus on new products are are simple and innovative rather than stuffing every possible feature in each product.