There are newer employer reviews for Google

Still the best experience of my life

Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

In my opionion, Google is truly the best large company to work for. Why?
1) A common strain of intellectual curiosity among Googlers makes for one of the most stimulating learning environments. No judgment for anything other than ethical errors -- of course, it pays to be smart and make good decisions ;)
2) Family in every part of the world -- i traveled alot for work and everywhere i went, once i stepped into a google office, I felt at home. The people were just as googley, the environment was just as comfortable. I felt part of a big family.
3) A true care for employees -- benefits are benefits, but I see the heart beind it. I have never felt so taken care of by an employer nor felt an employer go out of its way to make work easy for its employees. From the ease of dealing with the tech stop (our version of technical support), to the overhaul of the mini kitchens to keep us healthy. Everything was done with heart.
4) Indiscriminate respect for all levels -- i worked closely with senior management and never once did i feel slighted. all opinions were considered as long as you had the "balls" to bring it up. I felt like a member of the team with real value add from the very start. It was a trip overseas and i was asked to lead a meeting with some officials. I was hesitant and stated my inexperience (i was 25!). my eng director at the time said one thing i would never forget: "Age and experience is not an issue. You're here now and you know what we need accomplished, so i'm sure you'll figure it out".
5) Autonomy -- I've started multiple projects at google that have now taken root and have either become part of how the company is defined or have affected change in a meaningful way. None were part of my original job scope, and were ideas i took upon myself to get implemented. It truly is an entrepreneurs' playground -- you need to rally support, obtain resources and push through to completion. But if you put your mind to it, Google is a place you can get anything that has true value done.

Cons

1) Takes too long to eject incompetent people, so you might have to deal with less capable managers (not often, but sometimes)-- there are some people in the organization whose skills have not scaled with the growth of the organization, even though their responsibilities have. It would be good to have more efficient involuntary attrition.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, LSE, in terms of setting and communicating the mission of the company.

1) Be more aware of poor leadership within the ranks, and mean it when you want something changed.
2) Make it easier for engineers to get resources when needed, or at least make it possible to obtain it from other sources.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Google - dream job for the right kinds of engineers

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Work with many of the brightest people on some of the most challenging problems.
    See your efforts noticed in the media and in the lives of your friends and family every day.
    Engineering at Google is, more than ever, a dream job for the right people.
    Think really really big! There are terrifyingly few limits to what you can do here.

Cons

Competing with many of the brightest people can be frustrating. You will not be "the expert" on more than one topic no matter how smart you are.

Google is a big globally distributed company and we have not yet solved all the problems that follow from that.

Advice to Management

Keep Google nimble and the organization flat. Put more effort into the global teleportation network.

2. Google is probably the best big company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

The food, the people, the development infrastructure, the energetic atmosphere, and the large scale problems that do not exist anywhere else.

Cons

Google is starting to feel like a big company. The number of times org charts appear in meetings is constantly increasing. There is a growing necessity to deal with politics in order to promote projects and get recognition. It is getting harder to innovate in the core parts of the business.

Advice to Management

I think management needs to figure out how to satisfy the hunger of engineers who want to innovate and develop new and possibly better solutions to existing problems. I think parts of the core business are stuck with solutions that started many years ago and now most development revolves around incremental improvements rather than finding new and better approaches.