Google

www.google.com
  www.google.com
There are newer employer reviews for Google

Still the best experience of my life

Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

In my opionion, Google is truly the best large company to work for. Why?
1) A common strain of intellectual curiosity among Googlers makes for one of the most stimulating learning environments. No judgment for anything other than ethical errors -- of course, it pays to be smart and make good decisions ;)
2) Family in every part of the world -- i traveled alot for work and everywhere i went, once i stepped into a google office, I felt at home. The people were just as googley, the environment was just as comfortable. I felt part of a big family.
3) A true care for employees -- benefits are benefits, but I see the heart beind it. I have never felt so taken care of by an employer nor felt an employer go out of its way to make work easy for its employees. From the ease of dealing with the tech stop (our version of technical support), to the overhaul of the mini kitchens to keep us healthy. Everything was done with heart.
4) Indiscriminate respect for all levels -- i worked closely with senior management and never once did i feel slighted. all opinions were considered as long as you had the "balls" to bring it up. I felt like a member of the team with real value add from the very start. It was a trip overseas and i was asked to lead a meeting with some officials. I was hesitant and stated my inexperience (i was 25!). my eng director at the time said one thing i would never forget: "Age and experience is not an issue. You're here now and you know what we need accomplished, so i'm sure you'll figure it out".
5) Autonomy -- I've started multiple projects at google that have now taken root and have either become part of how the company is defined or have affected change in a meaningful way. None were part of my original job scope, and were ideas i took upon myself to get implemented. It truly is an entrepreneurs' playground -- you need to rally support, obtain resources and push through to completion. But if you put your mind to it, Google is a place you can get anything that has true value done.

Cons

1) Takes too long to eject incompetent people, so you might have to deal with less capable managers (not often, but sometimes)-- there are some people in the organization whose skills have not scaled with the growth of the organization, even though their responsibilities have. It would be good to have more efficient involuntary attrition.

Keep up the great work, LSE, in terms of setting and communicating the mission of the company.

1) Be more aware of poor leadership within the ranks, and mean it when you want something changed.
2) Make it easier for engineers to get resources when needed, or at least make it possible to obtain it from other sources.

2799 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Google is a very nice company to work for. The company is very transparent about its policies and directions, and keeps every one up-to-date of latest development.

People have strong ownership of things they do. And I feel that compensation is really good. The bonus is really generous (about 30% of your salary), and the benefits are excellent.

Cons

Benefits are excellent, but I think Microsoft's medical coverage is better, and Microsoft matches charitable donation up to 12,000 per year but Google only matches up to 3,000.

I think management is very good in Google. The organization hierarchy is fairly lean. My manager has 30 people reporting to him, so, it's hard for any manager to micro-manage, and that gives people a lot of ownership of their projects.

kicks ass

Current Employee - Tech Lead/Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Tech Lead/Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

great pay, great flexibility. Nobody pampers engineers like Google. Focus is on small teams, self-starting and self-motivating engineers. Much less power politics than I've found elsewhere.

Cons

no offices.
    Excessive focus on engineering means that non-engineering disciplines (finance, HR, legal, marketing) are under-valued.
    A lot more boring ads work than you would think.

What you valued as a 25 year old Systems grad student is not necesarily what you should value now.
    In particular, there is more to CS than Systems, and there is more to a company than CS

There are newer employer reviews for Google