Google

www.google.com

Smart people and amazing perks

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Working with smart people daily, amazing gourmet free food, fantastic career growth opportunities within Google. If you don't like the project you're working on, you can transfer to a different project, even to be a different "type" of engineer (e.g. frontend/backend/storage). I work with people who've worked on several projects at Google.

Working on projects that you genuinely believe help make the world a better place, helping users connect with each other or give them greater access to information.

I like the direction Larry has taken the company, feels more focused now than before.

Very pro-women, pro-LGBT, pro-minority environment. I'm a female software engineer and have not seen a shred of the sexism or attitude towards women that I've experienced at other workplaces.

Cons

While not totally necessary, being on a higher profile project helps with recognition and career advancement. I work on one such project and have since I've been at Google, so I can't really say what it's like if you work on other projects.

Having a good manager (as I do) is definitely important to being promoted and getting put on projects where you can earn recognition. Not all managers are as awesome as mine and their reports suffer for it in terms of career growth and interesting tasks to work on.

Better training for engineering managers. A good manager is crucial to career growth at Google, and not all engineers make good managers.

Other reviews for Google

Amazing Experience & What A Great Brand!

Former Employee - Sourcer/Recruiter  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Sourcer/Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Fun culture and people are incredibly smart and passionate about work/life
    Lots of free food (be careful or you'll gain the Google 15)
    Flexible schedule (I was able to work from home when I needed to)
     Any time I called or emailed a passive candidate I almost always got a response.

Cons

If you get in as a contractor at the wrong time it's impossible to get hire to FTE
    Not any training, still acts like a start up
    Too many recruiters--we were sometimes stepping on each other with candidates

Career paths for recruiters

An amazing place to work

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

- Sets the bar for employee perks
    - Work with some of the best in the industry
    - Develop content on projects used globally

Cons

- Sometimes a bit too relaxed
    - Lots of internally developed tools that can only be learned on the job

Can feel a bit fragmented internally among the various teams, and it is challenging at first to understand the various groups, their roles, and how to get certain tasks done.

There are newer employer reviews for Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!