Google

www.google.com
There are newer employer reviews for Google

It deserves it's "Best Place To Work" title.

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Google was founded based on the ideals of having a comfortable work environment, and it shows. Free food and tons and tons of benefits are available. Other examples include free bikes, on-site gyms and massages, free shuttle busses around the bay area, and even free co-op cars for employees who bike to work.

Aside from the benefits, the people at Google are also what makes it stand out: you'll constantly be in close proximity to some of the smartest people (albeit some are weird) around. Of course since there are so many projects, the work quality can vary, but I was extremely happy with my assigned work when I was there as an Intern.

Cons

Since there are so make projects going on a Google, you may be hired and work on something not so interesting. Of course there are opportunities to change your team, it may take a while. Similarly, since some projects are just experimental projects, it's possible that your project is shut down and you're moved to something else.

Though not technically a 'downside', the only reason I am not returning to Google is because of the lack of hiring right now. I was interviewed and offered a full-time job, however it wasn't in the type of work that I wanted to do. This is also the case with a handful of other interns that I know.

I didn't deal with Senior management enough to have an opinion.

2947 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Great benefits, the people depend on the group

Former Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Everyone knows they have great benefits, but apart from that they also have an amazing amount of resources, excellent process guidelines, and great information sources to improve in your work. The people are really talented, and most are willing to help you. If you land in a good group you'll have a dream job. If not, you'll be stuck in a regular job, but it will still have a lot of great things attached to it, so how is it worse or different than other jobs? The food is as great or better than what people say about it. The weather in Mountain View also helps.

Cons

People really do feel entitled. I've seen some of the pettiest, most childish and selfish behavior from Googlers. Of course they're not all like that, but it can get embarrassing to watch.
    Also, some groups really do behave like a bunch of college freshmen or even pre-schoolers. For people who have a few more years of experience, I doubt they will find this to be a comfortable work environment.
    Some people really do consider themselves to be superior to others just because they work there.

I didn't experience any problems with management

Google is the place to work in the Tech space and should continue to be if Sr. Management makes some necessary tweaks.

Current Employee - Manager, Online Sales & Operations in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager, Online Sales & Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at Google

Pros

-- Google employees are very bright (all have Ivy Educations) and enjoy coming to work everyday. The general sense that I get from talking to other employees is that we all feel that we are making the world a better place.

Cons

-- Google is a very flat organization despite its size. As such, you really have to differentiate yourself (amongst almost universally stellar applicants) and be persistent for years before you have an opportunity to grow into an even Junior management role.

As Google becomes more focused on building products for businesses (as opposed to building products primarily for consumers), I think that Sr. Management needs to reconsider its stance on "controlled chaos" and instead focused on our newest mantra "scarcity brings clarity". In other words, big decisions should be made by Sr. Management and then trickle down to the engineering, product and sales teams.

There are newer employer reviews for Google