Google

www.google.com
  www.google.com
There are newer employer reviews for Google

It deserves it's "Best Place To Work" title.

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Google was founded based on the ideals of having a comfortable work environment, and it shows. Free food and tons and tons of benefits are available. Other examples include free bikes, on-site gyms and massages, free shuttle busses around the bay area, and even free co-op cars for employees who bike to work.

Aside from the benefits, the people at Google are also what makes it stand out: you'll constantly be in close proximity to some of the smartest people (albeit some are weird) around. Of course since there are so many projects, the work quality can vary, but I was extremely happy with my assigned work when I was there as an Intern.

Cons

Since there are so make projects going on a Google, you may be hired and work on something not so interesting. Of course there are opportunities to change your team, it may take a while. Similarly, since some projects are just experimental projects, it's possible that your project is shut down and you're moved to something else.

Though not technically a 'downside', the only reason I am not returning to Google is because of the lack of hiring right now. I was interviewed and offered a full-time job, however it wasn't in the type of work that I wanted to do. This is also the case with a handful of other interns that I know.

I didn't deal with Senior management enough to have an opinion.

2795 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Great benefits, the people depend on the group

Former Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Everyone knows they have great benefits, but apart from that they also have an amazing amount of resources, excellent process guidelines, and great information sources to improve in your work. The people are really talented, and most are willing to help you. If you land in a good group you'll have a dream job. If not, you'll be stuck in a regular job, but it will still have a lot of great things attached to it, so how is it worse or different than other jobs? The food is as great or better than what people say about it. The weather in Mountain View also helps.

Cons

People really do feel entitled. I've seen some of the pettiest, most childish and selfish behavior from Googlers. Of course they're not all like that, but it can get embarrassing to watch.
    Also, some groups really do behave like a bunch of college freshmen or even pre-schoolers. For people who have a few more years of experience, I doubt they will find this to be a comfortable work environment.
    Some people really do consider themselves to be superior to others just because they work there.

I didn't experience any problems with management

Be wary of joining as a contractor...if that's even an option anymore

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Google

Pros

From the moment the opportunity arose, I was thrilled to be a part of the elusive Google empire - all those free meals, riding scooters in the halls, the brightly colored offices, gym classes and casual culture. I was very proud to work for such a respected, prestigious organization - it reflects how people think of you and that never gets old...I'll never forget after telling a new friend I worked for Google he remarked "well you must be someone pretty special to be working there..." And I was!

Cons

Although my peers made the best efforts to treat me "as an equal", the fact that I was a lowly *contractor* was never far from my mind. Yes, I was entitled to all the same physical privileges (massages, food, never ending snacks) but I received no other benefits (medical, 401k), and could not even gain access to internal job postings, because, well, I wasn't really a "Googler". I was also not entitled to a share of the sales bonus on ANY of the campaigns I worked on, although all full-time Googlers were. But I wasn't bitter, because I was working towards something, and I had a plan. I went out of my way to prove myself, work late hours, get noticed, and although my manager did make an effort to hire me on full time, it never happened, because it was never truly made a priority.

Another thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the sense of entitlement many Googlers seem to have. Complaints about food choices and other corporate decisions were not out of the norm - I think many people have forgotten what the real world is like...

Google's temp program is broken. Although the training I received during my Google experience was priceless, and the name on my resume has given my career a huge boost, the lack of support and respect made the experience one of the more uncomfortable I've had in my professional life. The expectations were the same, if not higher for me as a contractor, and the rewards were minimal and incomparable to what full-time employees receive. In a word, demoralizing. I understand the need for a temp program, but the current set-up could be greatly improved by providing real HR support and actual medical benefits to temporary workers, as well as a plan to move into a permanent role should the opportunity arise. Why invest so much time and money into training an individual, only to throw them back out on the street?

There are newer employer reviews for Google