There are newer employer reviews for Google

Amazing place - part-innovation lab; part-college; part-book club

Current Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

The best working environment I have ever seen. Everyone is generally a team player; everyone is very smart. The leadership will make big bets to try to make things better for the user; the internal transparency is rare and everyone shares information quite freely. The benefits are industry leading and the relative youth of the company keeps it a remarkably fun place to work.

Cons

There really isn't much that could be described as a Con. There are some growing pains as the company decides the right balance between more process and maintaining creativity and a slight sense of chaos in the various groups.

Continue to reward merit. Actively and visibly manage out poor performers and those who don't exhibit the cultural values we cherish so much.

2600 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Smart people and amazing perks

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Working with smart people daily, amazing gourmet free food, fantastic career growth opportunities within Google. If you don't like the project you're working on, you can transfer to a different project, even to be a different "type" of engineer (e.g. frontend/backend/storage). I work with people who've worked on several projects at Google.

Working on projects that you genuinely believe help make the world a better place, helping users connect with each other or give them greater access to information.

I like the direction Larry has taken the company, feels more focused now than before.

Very pro-women, pro-LGBT, pro-minority environment. I'm a female software engineer and have not seen a shred of the sexism or attitude towards women that I've experienced at other workplaces.

Cons

While not totally necessary, being on a higher profile project helps with recognition and career advancement. I work on one such project and have since I've been at Google, so I can't really say what it's like if you work on other projects.

Having a good manager (as I do) is definitely important to being promoted and getting put on projects where you can earn recognition. Not all managers are as awesome as mine and their reports suffer for it in terms of career growth and interesting tasks to work on.

Better training for engineering managers. A good manager is crucial to career growth at Google, and not all engineers make good managers.

Unprecedented employee trust, difficult career advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

More than any other workplace, Google trusts its employees. Each engineer has access to almost the entire codebase and there is very little micromanaging.

Cons

It's hard to get promoted. Performance is decided mostly by your peers, which means promotion is essentially a popularity contest.

Most managers at google have 20+ direct reports and are extremely busy, but the ones who take the time to speak to their reports about what they need to do differently to advance their career are the stars.

There are newer employer reviews for Google