There are newer employer reviews for Google

I had the best summer of my life working at Google.

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Boulder, CO
Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Boulder, CO

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Google takes great care of you! You are treated with respect, and are given real responsibilities. There is an enormous amount of freedom (creative and otherwise). The work environment is simply great - the community is very friendly and easy-going, great to work with, always open to discuss ideas. Google tries really hard to make the workplace as fun and interesting as possible. And of course, having Google on your resume is great!

Cons

There is a lot of freedom to do things your way, but there is also a lot of responsibility that comes with it. You will not always be told what to do and how to do things. It is your responsibility to come out and talk to your team or manager about any questions that you may have, or any problems that you might run into. If you run into trouble with your assignment, you have to stand up and ask help - and more often than not, there will be someone on your team who can help you, or at least point you in the right direction.

I've also felt on occasion that there is too much freedom, and it takes a lot of self discipline to stay focused and respect work ethics and be responsible. If you are the kind of person who tends to slack off if your boss isn't always on your tail, this company isn't for you.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Incredible, unique company

Former Employee - Account Strategist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Strategist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing, smart, fun, and quirky colleagues
    Great brand name on your resume
    Open and transparent management
    The food, of course

Cons

Google is becoming more hierarchical. You can move up through the ranks, but if you start at entry-level, it will take you 15+ years to get to senior management. Use it as a stepping stone to another job outside the company or move laterally and gain experience in different roles

great but stressful

Current Employee - Software in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I would say that the quality of my co-workers is very high. My managers have all at least seemed to be concerned with my personal well-being. There is always something new to learn here.

Cons

Quarter performance evaluations can be a little wearing. Good communication with the technical leadership on your project is a must for success a Google.

Advice to Management

Stop pivoting on social.