There are newer employer reviews for Google

Open-air culture, but great if that suits you

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of activities, and plenty of time for training courses. Personal calls, printing etc. allowed; even let me borrow an Ethernet cable when I arrived without one. "Tech Talks" that offer a chance to ask Larry and/or Sergey questions.

Cons

I was a Java programmer not seated near project teammates or other Java programmers, and was on a floor with no cubicle walls. Relied on headphones for noise control whenever I needed to think deeply (which, as an undergrad intern, was more often than for full-time engineers).

More emphasis on placing teammates together. More support needed in implementing OSS authentication clients -- would eliminate the need for an F/T engineer on many small internal apps. Employees with Asperger's/ADHD need walled cubicles to control distractions.

2597 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Google Offers Staff Made Me Miserable

Former Employee - Senior Google Offers Specialist in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Google Offers Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great facility with anything and everything you can think of. My team members were great to work with and there was a great positive energy amongst the sales team members.

Cons

Managers had their heads up their back sides. They lacked direction, clarity and felt that books were a better resource than experience. If the managers felt threatened by their employees they chased them out. A manager would fight for the people he liked and if he didn't like you he would ignore your emails and any possible contact. Leads were not assigned they were up for grabs. They would set people up for failure by giving new people old territories. It was not common to call a lead that already had been in contact with someone else months prior and the owner or manager would complain about duplicate calls and false promises. Even if the person would request to speak to a manager it would take 2-3 weeks to get a manager to call them back.

Get organized have a plan of action. Assign leads appropriately and recognize the ones that perform and not the ones that under perform. Do not promote people who did not hit their goal for 6 months in a row, while others who did, were let go. The slogans "We are Google" or "I went to Harvard" should not be used in terms of clients needing Google's service or that your sales experience is nothing because I have an MBA from Harvard. I used this phrase all the time when I interacted with my manager " So smart but your so stupid" The books may have taught you how to sell but if you dont pick up the phone and do it your guidance doesn't mean anything if you do not know how to overcome objections. As I said but "We Are Google" did not work with people. Put up or shut up!

Good place to work but not much work to do

Current Employee - Programmer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Programmer in New York, NY

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food, Massage centre, heavy facilities.Reputed company.Big company,friendly environment

Cons

Not use of one's talent, not much work to do,

Please it is good if you are installing so many facilities in your company for your employees but please use them also to their extend

There are newer employer reviews for Google