There are newer employer reviews for Google

great big company to work for but very team specific

Former Employee - Manager Corporate Development in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Manager Corporate Development in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great products and benefits, some teams are awesome

Cons

too big, very specific to teams - make sure you join a good team with a good manager, there are a lot of bad managers there.

Advice to Management

you can get rid of 10-20% of people at any time and the company would not miss a heart beat..do it. institute a 10% firing rule every year

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Google Offers Staff Made Me Miserable

Former Contractor - Senior Google Offers Specialist in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Google Offers Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great facility with anything and everything you can think of. My team members were great to work with and there was a great positive energy amongst the sales team members.

Cons

Managers had their heads up their back sides. They lacked direction, clarity and felt that books were a better resource than experience. If the managers felt threatened by their employees they chased them out. A manager would fight for the people he liked and if he didn't like you he would ignore your emails and any possible contact. Leads were not assigned they were up for grabs. They would set people up for failure by giving new people old territories. It was not common to call a lead that already had been in contact with someone else months prior and the owner or manager would complain about duplicate calls and false promises. Even if the person would request to speak to a manager it would take 2-3 weeks to get a manager to call them back.

Advice to Management

Get organized have a plan of action. Assign leads appropriately and recognize the ones that perform and not the ones that under perform. Do not promote people who did not hit their goal for 6 months in a row, while others who did, were let go. The slogans "We are Google" or "I went to Harvard" should not be used in terms of clients needing Google's service or that your sales experience is nothing because I have an MBA from Harvard. I used this phrase all the time when I interacted with my manager " So smart but your so stupid" The books may have taught you how to sell but if you dont pick up the phone and do it your guidance doesn't mean anything if you do not know how to overcome objections. As I said but "We Are Google" did not work with people. Put up or shut up!

2. Great place for intern

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Kirkland, WA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food. Free drink. Gym, Game, everything. Good work environment. Flexible work hours. Code review process.

Cons

Not too many things to complain. It is the best intern experience I have ever had.