There are newer employer reviews for Google

Not quite paradise, but not bad either.

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

The perks and the people. Everyone knows Google so when you say you work there you don't have to explain what it means. The idea that when I checked in code to production, billions of people would be hitting it the next day - very heady.

Cons

I got pretty chubby, but that's my own fault. The brutal interview process means people who work there all think they're hot stuff even if they aren't. Downright obnoxious people work there, there are no standards for managers. Everyone is working on 5 projects so nobody pays attention to everything they need to. Ultra-competitive, passive-aggressive culture.

Advice to Management

Get out of China until you can do it right. You shouldn't have grown so fast in '05 and '06, your culture went down the drain.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Google is a great place to work if you are competent enough.

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Google

Pros

The benefits are awesome and work hours are very flexible.

Cons

It's very competitive and it's getting too big.

Advice to Management

I think they are doing great.

Google is still a great company, but could work on more individual employee attention.

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Google's management allows, or rather, encourages engineers to take as much ownership as they like of projects. Product managers are there to work with engineers to direct the product, as their job is to know the customers and the marketplace and come up with a good direction for products. Because a lot of what the marketplace wants is illogical, engineers often argue with product management, and such behavior is part of what makes engineering a great place to be. You can actually have a significant impact on product direction.

Additionally, Google is very fair about how promotions work. The engineers who impress their colleagues get promoted. Those who don't impress their colleagues don't get promoted. Thus, most good engineers will get promoted. I've heard lots of people complain about this process, but usually I hear this from engineers who aren't that impressive. It could be that the explanation for *why* they aren't getting promoted isn't transparent enough...but I don't know.

In almost all situations, you are in control of your own destiny at Google. You set your own goals. You set your own timeline to achieve those goals. Management is there to guide you in setting these goals, but it is your duty to set good goals and strive to achieve them. This is also very empowering, and avoids the micromanagement that occurs at other companies.

Then there's the obvious, which everyone else has already mentioned, like the *great* food, the massages, the really understanding/flexible management when it comes to personal issues, the good benefit package, etc.

Cons

Google is big, so your impact often seems tiny with regard to the company as a whole. Things are gradually getting more and more bureaucratic, the pain of being a public company with profits to protect. You gradually feel less and less important to the company as time goes on, as the company grows to many 10s of thousands of employees. Things like the Founder's Awards, which originally were supposed to be motivating factors to great products could end up being demotivating for many. For example, if you are stuck on a project that is in maintenance mode, or if you launch a great product that is overlooked, you might have little motivation to work hard again.

Advice to Management

Management probably needs to start looking into what each engineer needs to be his/her best. I've found that management is very hands off, which is mostly good, but I think that some people need more attention than others to be happy and productive.