There are newer employer reviews for Google

It's OK as a contractor.

Former Employee - Business Specialist  in  Portland, OR
Former Employee - Business Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Google as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Smart people, enthusiasm, lots of free Google stuff (bags, jackets, shirts, etc.). Cool technology - new phones, tablets and computers to use and test on the job. It's exciting to work on things that you know people use and love.

Cons

You kind of have to drink the kool-aid. So enthusiasm over new acquisitions can be over the top. You've got use and LOVE (or pretend to) new projects like Wave, Google+, Google Local, etc. As a contractor, you're definitely on the bottom of the heap.

Be more transparent about the length and scope of our projects. My position was supposed to be 3 months, but lasted about 8 (not complaining about that necessarily) but slowly morphed into sales. When it ended, it was sudden. No warning - just 10 people called into a meeting (our whole team) and told this was the last day so turn in our equipment.

2506 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

I love google so much it is the best

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Google full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work environment is so amazing

Cons

Pay is pretty low right niow

Good job with everyone and outside

Nerdvana

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Outstanding technical environment. Lots of talented and super smart contributors. The perks are really nice: food, guest talks. 20% time for engineers to invent what they really care about. The company is trying real hard to do good for society and promote a progressive agenda.

Cons

The culture rewards the top performers. It favors young professionals who just graduated and have tons of time to dedicate to work. It is much more difficult for experienced contributors who have constraints outside the office: family, hobbies, etc.

Find ways to recognize the contributions of those who work smarter, not just harder. And find a way to let those who cannot work 80 hrs/wk still feel like they can have a meaningful and recognized contribution.

There are newer employer reviews for Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!