Google
4.2 of 5 2,100 reviews
www.google.com Mountain View, CA 5000+ Employees

Contractor - Google's people and environment are awesome, but the job responsibilities and growth rate are poor.

Staffing Services Associate (Current Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor for less than a year

ProsEverything but the job itself. Work with cool people, eat for free, and play a lot. Having Google on your resume also gives you a competitive advantage with many other employers.

ConsFrom my experience as an entry-level contractor, I feel like it's difficult to get well-rounded experience in your practice area at Google. Google hires you to do one specific thing, and nothing more. This is even in their mission statement: better to do one thing really well then a bunch of different things. This principle is effective if you're thinking in terms of efficiency but not in terms of developing your employees.

Also, the conversion rate for contractors is very low and you really do get treated like a second class citizen as you walk around with your red badge (...scarlet letter?).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on broadening the job responsibilities of your employees.

The Best Place Ever

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern for less than a year

Pros: The free food is great. People are amazing. Perks in general are out of this world.… Cons: You're one of many people. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros: For superb software enginerr, superb salary, bonus, and stock Cons: Nothing I can think of. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Google CEO Larry Page . All reviews posted anonymously by Google employees.