Great place

Former Employee - Accountant
Former Employee - Accountant

I worked at Google

Pros

I've also heard about how Google's stack ranking-based review system is obsolete and is an unfair way to rate employees. I suspect that most of the people who complain fall on the low end of the review scale. Personally, I have never paid much attention to the review process, and I have never felt unfairly treated by it. I am also one of those people who delights in knowing that there is always someone smarter than me at Google that I can learn from. Since I'm always learning from someone, I'm always improving, and always holding my own in the stack rankings. Google does not and should not reward complacency. While I'm sure the review process can be improved, I've also witnessed that it has been slowly evolving for years so I'm content that people are working to improve the process.

Cons

A few years ago during the internet boom we all received fat raises so our salaries would keep pace with the booming silicon valley. Well, those days are over, and look how well most of those start-ups with their extravagant compensation packages did. You want a fatter paycheck? Create some revolutionary product that raises profits: your paycheck is tied to Google's bottom line. A long time ago people came to Google because they wanted to work for a company that was changing the world, not because Google offered the fattest paycheck. Google compensates well, but if what you're looking for is a new Porsche every year then look somewhere else. I want to work with people who are excited to work on great software, not those who are obsessed with counting pennies.

Advice to Management

Is Google a utopian work envionment that dishes out exorbitant salaries to anyone who walks in the door? Of course not. Can it improve in how it reviews and compensates employees? Of course. All of us who work there have an obligation to take responsibility and ensure that the company continuously improves in everything it does. It's not an "us vs them" world; we're all part of the same ecosystem. To those employees who don't think they're getting a good deal at Google: be part of the solution or leave. All of you fall into two camps. Either you are a valuable asset to Google and they will listen to your issues, or you think you do better work than you actually do and Google would be better off without you.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to work at

Current Employee - Product Specialist
    Current Employee - Product Specialist

I have been working at Google

Pros

fast paced environment, opportunities to learn, super smart and nice coworkers, free food

Cons

getting increasingly political, some benefits are getting cut off

Advice to Management

Engineering is much more spoiled than Sales - make it even :)

Overall, this is a great place but nowhere is perfect

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google

Pros

Your colleagues. More than anything else, I really enjoy working somewhere where I can rely on not just the competence but as importantly the friendliness and general willingness to pitch in, of my colleagues. It is also lovely to work somewhere that genuinely does seem to try and do the right thing. (That sounds like schmaltz but it is true).

Cons

It feels like it's tending to become more bureaucratic. Nothing like on the scale of my last job, but still not what I expected when I joined. "Gut feel" and intuition are far outweighed by numbers. That's not necessarily a downside, but it does mean you are restricted to only making certain kinds of arguments if you wish your recommendations to be taken seriously, and this style doesn't necessarily suit everyone.

Advice to Management

Overall, I admire Google's senior management, I think they're smart, they try to do the right thing and more than at any other company I've worked for they put the company's interests first. That said, there seems to be quite an unhealthy management style brewing among some at some senior levels (eg: flying off the handle at people just because you're stressed). Even when it's understandable it's not nice, and I'm not convinced is always helpful. My advice to senior management would be to put in place mechanisms for upward feedback, because I think you might learn a lot that would help you to become even more effective.