Google

Great place

Former Employee - Accountant
Former Employee - Accountant

I worked at Google

Pros

I've also heard about how Google's stack ranking-based review system is obsolete and is an unfair way to rate employees. I suspect that most of the people who complain fall on the low end of the review scale. Personally, I have never paid much attention to the review process, and I have never felt unfairly treated by it. I am also one of those people who delights in knowing that there is always someone smarter than me at Google that I can learn from. Since I'm always learning from someone, I'm always improving, and always holding my own in the stack rankings. Google does not and should not reward complacency. While I'm sure the review process can be improved, I've also witnessed that it has been slowly evolving for years so I'm content that people are working to improve the process.

Cons

A few years ago during the internet boom we all received fat raises so our salaries would keep pace with the booming silicon valley. Well, those days are over, and look how well most of those start-ups with their extravagant compensation packages did. You want a fatter paycheck? Create some revolutionary product that raises profits: your paycheck is tied to Google's bottom line. A long time ago people came to Google because they wanted to work for a company that was changing the world, not because Google offered the fattest paycheck. Google compensates well, but if what you're looking for is a new Porsche every year then look somewhere else. I want to work with people who are excited to work on great software, not those who are obsessed with counting pennies.

Is Google a utopian work envionment that dishes out exorbitant salaries to anyone who walks in the door? Of course not. Can it improve in how it reviews and compensates employees? Of course. All of us who work there have an obligation to take responsibility and ensure that the company continuously improves in everything it does. It's not an "us vs them" world; we're all part of the same ecosystem.

To those employees who don't think they're getting a good deal at Google: be part of the solution or leave. All of you fall into two camps. Either you are a valuable asset to Google and they will listen to your issues, or you think you do better work than you actually do and Google would be better off without you.

2711 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Horribly Unsatisfying Communication, Enjoyable Work

Former Employee - Quality Rater
    Former Employee - Quality Rater

I worked at Google

Pros

My story is a little different than most others because I was a temp worker for Google, testing search results for a year. I enjoyed the work a great deal; there were always new interesting things to test, and I got to see things like Maps and Timelines long before they were released to the public and help make them better. The pay was reasonable - $15/hour working from home - and there were good bonuses after a certain number of hours had been completed, or occasionally given for working on specific projects.

Cons

There were two major downsides of doing temp work from home for Google. One was the astonishing lack of communication. This shifted a little while I was working there; they began developing a sort of report card system so that we could see how our rating work scored compared to previous months and how we were doing overall. But while I was there, that system only worked for a small fraction of the projects I was working on, so it wasn't particularly helpful.

More to the point, there was no positive feedback given to anyone at all, and communication between employees seemed to be discouraged - two classic characteristics of a dysfunctional work environment. Occasionally if a rating was very far off of what they were looking for - usually due to a typo or misclick - they would send it back with a warning saying so, but that represented the sum total of feedback given. Personally, I found it very difficult to work with no input about whether they wished I were going faster, whether I was going faster than my peers, whether I was doing a great job, or - most of all - any input about how to improve in general. Sure, it's a year-long temp job, but one which can potentially be repeated after another year has passed - and besides, who doesn't want to receive positive feedback and learn how to improve and receive more? I guess more importantly, who doesn't want to know what the expectations for their work are??

The one saving grace for me was that I found a forum for people working from home where some other folks who were doing temp work for Google could get together and chat a little - without breaking any confidentiality agreements - about what we struggled with, how much we were able to do in a day, and what we thought the expectations for us were, based on all of our experiences.

The other major downside was that the temp agency they used, WorkForceLogic, was just TERRIBLE - specifically at handling payroll, which is a terrible thing to be terrible at. There were many times that I didn't get paid, got a bonus deducted from my check instead of added to it, et cetera - and it was always a different mistake from all the ones they had made before, and it always took them a while to figure out what had gone wrong, track down whoever needed to fix it, wait for them to get back from lunch or an appointment or come back to work the next day or.... And they were no better at communication, really; I had hoped that once this assignment was up I would be able to get more assignments through WFL, but no matter how many phone calls I made, nobody could ever figure out who I should be talking to or find anyone who would return calls.

From what I have heard, communication and job satisfaction are a growing problem everywhere in Google, and as with any large corporation this has the largest effect at the bottom of the totem pole. I'd recommend getting an expert in organizational development to go through the whole company, and listening to their feedback.

Google: change is needed to avoid complacency & loss of competitive edge

Former Employee - Product Manager in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Google

Pros

2 types of people that will find a great place to work: (1) recent college or B-school graduates looking for a first job where they can learn a lot, and (2) more senior corporate executives with many years of experience who aren't overly ambitious and are looking for a role where they can put life on auto-pilot and glide through their day-to-day activities.

Cons

There is no clear career progression, and management is arrogant.

Reward employees based on achievements as opposed to favoritism by one's direct line manager. Ensure that rewards / bonuses / promotions are not entirely up to one person (ie the specific team manager)

There are newer employer reviews for Google