There are newer employer reviews for Google

Engineer

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

free food, good pay, good people

Cons

free food, bad managers, alot of free time

2463 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Intense, much higher level of challenging environments than other employers in same position

I worked at Google

Pros

Perks, benefits, bonuses, pay and public perception

Cons

Very easy to get burned out when trying to exceed expectations. Mandatory promotions required based on time employed to meet job expectations

Become more aware of clicks and in house cronyism that develops due to competitive nature of environment. There are those who have learned to manipulate the system to get an edge.

You can learn a lot at Google and hack on things easily. There are things to improve though.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

The single most important factor for me is that you can learn a lot here. You can meet many great people, who contributed a lot to CS in general. When you want to improve your skills in particular area, you can join the team that works on that area. Also the codebase is huge with multiple examples of great engineering. Google has some internal learning classes etc. but I didn't find it as useful as people, projects and the codebase.

Another thing is the "hackability". With the tools we have it's very simple to start hacking on something and you can focus on solving problems. If you have an idea that you want to try, often you can have something ready within a day or two with no frustrations coming from fighting the tools all the time.

Cons

I think that internal mobility could be improved. It's easy to start to work on something as 20%, but when it comes to 100% it's a bit tricky. That means you can get stuck for a while in a project that you don't really like.

Also there is certain degree of bureaucracy. Maybe it's just me, but I hate creating tickets and filling e-forms. Whenever you want to request something, you need to do those things.

Pay more attention to personal interests of employees and fight bureaucracy.

There are newer employer reviews for Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!