Google

www.google.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Google

Great place to work... period.

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

I was amongst some of the most hard driven and motivated co-workers while at Google. I had very little to complain about, being surrounded by some of the brightest and most interesting people I have ever met. The team and the atmosphere made for a great work environment, the perks helped but it was more knowing you were all part of a team and accomplishing great things. Senior management wanted to help you and would give you the tools to succeed.

Cons

See review headline - "Great place to work... "

Senior management wanted to help you and would give you the tools to succeed. They will listen and make 1:1 a priority.

3059 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Overall good smart people working together in a very open atmosphere where information sharing is highly encouraged and easy to do. Very open communication from management compared to most companies. Best total compensation I've had at any company. Great fringe benefits like the free food, author talks, and political candidates dropping in.

Cons

If you like working in a very structured environment then you might not like it here.

Keep up the good work.

Great place to work but it's hard to be noticed in such a huge pond of ridiculously smart people with too much free time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

The perks are great as you probably already know. Who can complain about free gourmet food and lots of freebies. But even over the last few years the company's growth has caused many of these once great perks to go downhill (but don't get me wrong the food is amazing). There are so many smart people at Google so if you want a place to learn and find out anything you've ever wanted to know, this is the place for you. People are typically very willing to give you a helping hand any time you have a question. Google also does wonders on your resume of course.

Cons

It's really hard to shine. As the company has grown at an amazing rate, you become a little guy amongst hundreds of strong performers. Even if you're doing well, there's probably somebody else putting in more than the extra effort. By this I mean, so many people work day and night and achieve great things, but for those who have other things going on in their lives it's just hard to compete and be noticed. It's hard to blame managers as they can't reward everybody but it's really hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Don't try so hard to suck all the free time out of everyone's lives. While it's great that some employees love to contribute extra, it's unfair to punish those who just do a great job during the business day.

The hiring process is also horrible. It weeds out thousands of extremely qualified applicants as it focuses strongly on GPA over real industry experience. Often times the smartest and most applied people are the people who didn't do well in school. Many of the great innovators have not appeared to be the most 'book smart'.

There are newer employer reviews for Google