Google

www.google.com

Great perks, and great for your resume/career

Technical Program Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe work and projects are very challenging; Google's products have wide visibility; great food and perks, and working for Google is great for your resume.

Google rewards their top performers well. Base salary tends to run at around the 50th percentile in the industry, but annual bonuses the last few years have been ~25% of salary (it's not uncommon for above average performers to receive bonuses of 25-35% of salary).

Google also matches 401K contributions up to $8,250 for U.S. workers. BTW, 401K matching is something I really wished Glassdoor keeps data on. When comparing overall compensation of two or more companies, you have to account for 401K matching.

ConsThe company has grown substantially during the 4+ years I've been here. Management does a good job in trying to limit bureaucracy, but there's definitely more bureaucracy than there was 4 years ago.

Also, base salaries tend to be much lower than competitors. For a company that prides itself on hiring the best, they certainly don't pay the best when it comes to base salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company made an excellent hire with the (relatively) new CFO. Lot's of waste has been eliminated. Let's keep plugging away at inefficiencies, focus the bulk of our staff and resources on products and projects that matter, and stay humble.

Working as a "Vendor" (Contractor) at Google

Senior Java Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros: It is much easier to work at Google as a contractor. The interview process was compressed to one phone screen and a 3 one-hour… Cons: Again, being a vendor instead of a Googler, is not quite as bad as being a 2nd class citizen, but… Advice to Senior Management: The distinction between Googlers and Vendors should be decreased. It could be handled more like the Intern programs in terms of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Growing Pains

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros: The swag, food, and pride of working for a profitable… Cons: Everyone's had the kool-aide! They are having growing pains, too. It… Advice to Senior Management: I would say grow up. More
There are newer reviews on Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!