Great company to work for (with the right manager)

Former Employee - Analytical Lead  in  Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Analytical Lead in Irvine, CA

I worked at Google full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people are the best thing about Google. There is a can-do attitude and when you work for a company where its employees review each other, this will humble even the most egotistical of coworkers. The company perks are definitely top notch, too, though in the end it is the camaraderie that I experiences is what I miss.

Cons

Career opportunities are in Mountain View and New York offices only. The Old School cheery Googlers have been replaced with the MBA sharks looking for a feather in their career cap, so come with your Excel and Powerpoint data in hand if you want to succeed. The customer-service came second only to internal posturing which happens with any desirable place to work. It's unfortunate, but when you answer to shareholders, the almighty dollar is all that matters. Google gives you free lunch and a laptop to keep you on the hook - the job hook. When you mature to having a family and need that work-life balance, Google isn't the place to be.

Stop re-structuring the company every year; make your customers priority instead of the bottom line, money flows between trusted relationships; weed out the middle management sharks; stop outsourcing jobs to India, Google was not founded on these values.

Other Reviews for Google

Chaotic and magical

Current Employee - People Operations  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - People Operations in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working on products that have a global impact
    Changing the world
    Intelligent and diverse coworkers
    Amazing internal resources
    Exciting office spaces
    They really care about you as a person and want you to succeed, both inside and outside the office

Cons

Might be difficult to work remotely
    Disorganized
    Not as much of a flat hierarchy as they want
    People get a sense of entitlement

No longer a startup mentality

Former Employee - Product Marketing  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I began at Google pre-IPO so my experience is based on the way the company evolved over time from a smallish company of less than 600 employees, to the tens of thousands that work there today. Google is, as expected, an incredible place to work. Your colleagues will be brilliant and the work environment is world-class. The projects are interesting and there is the constant state of wonder you will get when seeing work you completed actually deployed, and used, by people all over the world. On top of that, the company allows for incredible personal development, both professionally and with regards to non-work related interests. Guest speakers and lectures have ranged from celebrity visitors, to heads of state, to famous bloggers with specific domain expertise like "The Strobist" whose blog is followed by the photography cognoscenti.

Cons

I've since left Google; many of my early-day colleagues have moved to more nimble environments where the work has a deeper impact. The company has gotten very "heavy" with many layers of experts, all who bring the complexity they developed from other world-class companies they have worked in. A close friend told me "there are other companies out there who ARE what Google USED TO BE" which is to say, very lean and intimate. I love the startup mentality and the opportunity to make huge moves with everything you work on. Google is like a very large ship now; many oars must move in order to effect a turn or feel the ship shift slightly in direction.

If you are bringing your "best practices" from your previous org, and implementing them just to prove your value to the company, STOP NOW. Get on the front line; the company was best when it was "flat" which is to say, everyone was a builder and not simply administrative. When I started, I was one person removed from the VP of my group (who is now the "Global VP"). When I left there were SEVEN levels of positions between us. I can say, they were not all necessary.

There are newer employer reviews for Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!