There are newer employer reviews for Google

Chaotic and magical

Current Employee - People Operations in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - People Operations in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working on products that have a global impact
Changing the world
Intelligent and diverse coworkers
Amazing internal resources
Exciting office spaces
They really care about you as a person and want you to succeed, both inside and outside the office

Cons

Might be difficult to work remotely
Disorganized
Not as much of a flat hierarchy as they want
People get a sense of entitlement

reviews filtered by

No longer a startup mentality

Former Employee - Product Marketing in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I began at Google pre-IPO so my experience is based on the way the company evolved over time from a smallish company of less than 600 employees, to the tens of thousands that work there today. Google is, as expected, an incredible place to work. Your colleagues will be brilliant and the work environment is world-class. The projects are interesting and there is the constant state of wonder you will get when seeing work you completed actually deployed, and used, by people all over the world. On top of that, the company allows for incredible personal development, both professionally and with regards to non-work related interests. Guest speakers and lectures have ranged from celebrity visitors, to heads of state, to famous bloggers with specific domain expertise like "The Strobist" whose blog is followed by the photography cognoscenti.

Cons

I've since left Google; many of my early-day colleagues have moved to more nimble environments where the work has a deeper impact. The company has gotten very "heavy" with many layers of experts, all who bring the complexity they developed from other world-class companies they have worked in. A close friend told me "there are other companies out there who ARE what Google USED TO BE" which is to say, very lean and intimate. I love the startup mentality and the opportunity to make huge moves with everything you work on. Google is like a very large ship now; many oars must move in order to effect a turn or feel the ship shift slightly in direction.

If you are bringing your "best practices" from your previous org, and implementing them just to prove your value to the company, STOP NOW. Get on the front line; the company was best when it was "flat" which is to say, everyone was a builder and not simply administrative. When I started, I was one person removed from the VP of my group (who is now the "Global VP"). When I left there were SEVEN levels of positions between us. I can say, they were not all necessary.

Great place to learn - then jump to a startup

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, motivated people make it fun to come to work every day. Products that touch many millions of people and make their lives easier. Prestigious employer makes finding your next job very easy - people love seeing Google on your resume ... even after you've been gone for years.

Cons

Management is decreasingly transparent. Internal transfers are near-impossible.

There are newer employer reviews for Google