Google

www.google.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Google

No longer a startup mentality

Former Employee - Product Marketing in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Product Marketing in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I began at Google pre-IPO so my experience is based on the way the company evolved over time from a smallish company of less than 600 employees, to the tens of thousands that work there today. Google is, as expected, an incredible place to work. Your colleagues will be brilliant and the work environment is world-class. The projects are interesting and there is the constant state of wonder you will get when seeing work you completed actually deployed, and used, by people all over the world. On top of that, the company allows for incredible personal development, both professionally and with regards to non-work related interests. Guest speakers and lectures have ranged from celebrity visitors, to heads of state, to famous bloggers with specific domain expertise like "The Strobist" whose blog is followed by the photography cognoscenti.

Cons

I've since left Google; many of my early-day colleagues have moved to more nimble environments where the work has a deeper impact. The company has gotten very "heavy" with many layers of experts, all who bring the complexity they developed from other world-class companies they have worked in. A close friend told me "there are other companies out there who ARE what Google USED TO BE" which is to say, very lean and intimate. I love the startup mentality and the opportunity to make huge moves with everything you work on. Google is like a very large ship now; many oars must move in order to effect a turn or feel the ship shift slightly in direction.

If you are bringing your "best practices" from your previous org, and implementing them just to prove your value to the company, STOP NOW. Get on the front line; the company was best when it was "flat" which is to say, everyone was a builder and not simply administrative. When I started, I was one person removed from the VP of my group (who is now the "Global VP"). When I left there were SEVEN levels of positions between us. I can say, they were not all necessary.

3082 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Forward looking company with smart people

I worked at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free food/young team, play hard, work hard

Cons

Not as flexible as before

great company

I worked at Google

Pros

I was an intern here and I had my first experience with real-world delivery of apps.
    Good stuff

Cons

It was a pretty long walk from my desk to the one sundae machine on the floor.
    Like really. One per floor? Animals