Great culture, great perks, intellectually stimulating work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Google full-time for less than a year

Pros

In order of importance:

1. A strong culture of creativity, innovation and avoiding unnecessary hierarchy, red tape and inertia.

2. Intellectually stimulating work. Even projects that sound boring at first become interesting when dealing with the challenges of doing them at Google scale.

3. Great perks. These make working at Google more fun, but also improve the culture. Free, really good food encourages teams to get away from their desks and eat together instead of just eating a boring, practical lunch at their desks. Various events such as ski trips are clearly designed to encourage people from different parts of the company to get to know each other. Tech talks are designed to create a culture of always learning instead of stagnating and becoming too settled in a small niche.

Cons

1. It's a big, established company. It's easy to feel like you're just a cog and will never have a big impact in it.

2. There's no well-defined career path, which doesn't bother me personally but might bother people with different personalities.

3. Language choice for performance critical code mostly limited to C++ or Java.

Mostly, keep up the good work. It would be nice if people working on back-end/infrastructure projects could see their impact more easily.

Other Reviews for Google

Fun, engaging and learned a lot!

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

It was fun and really tough at the same time. I felt that my boss really pushed me to be the best

Cons

I felt like my opinions didnt really matter

Great place to work for smart, motivated, entrepreneurial product managers

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Google for more than 5 years

Pros

The only place I've ever worked where I've been criticized for not thinking big enough. Really smart people. A great place to incubate ideas. You are constantly pushed. I worked and launched a wide variety of products. Google is also big enough that it's difficult to get bored - there are always interesting projects to get involved with.

Cons

Given that there are so many smart people, there is some intellectual elitism. Occasionally, you will find yourself in an incredibly long email thread where people are debating just to debate. Constant pace can burn people out.

There are newer employer reviews for Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!