Google

www.google.com
  www.google.com
There are newer employer reviews for Google

Smart people, a comfortable BIG company, lots of perks

Current Employee - Senior Engineering in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Senior Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

The many perks including free gourmet food, snacks galore, cultural events, speakers/authors, lots of smart people from all over the world to meet and work with. Many choices of projects to work on and relative freedom to do so. There is plenty of work to do here from improving existing systems and creating new products. Kid in a candy store if you are eager and driven to make things better. Wide range of technologies - handhelds, operating systems, HTML5, Linux, file systems, compilers.

Cons

Lots of smart people, but lots of subpar people somehow managed to get hired as well.
20% time is a myth. I suppose some people get to do that. I don't know any personally as every group I've worked with is stressed and working hard on the project they're on.
At Google it was better to be early than good. Being in the wake of a mass exodus of (mostly) young millionaires (many of whose first job was Google) and being handed their mediocre work to fix can really kill your incentive to "go further" here, especially when later senior folks are not well compensated equity-wise. Google is a big company that provides a comfy job but none of the burning desire to go that extra mile because they aren't making the effort to take you with them.

Get better at rewarding your post-IPO senior people. We weren't lucky enough to get here early, but we are fixing much of what was left us by a sea of (industry) inexperienced academics. When hiring, try to focus more on real-world skills and industry experience rather than degrees and GPAs.

2809 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Quality Rater while in school

Former Employee - Quality Rater
    Former Employee - Quality Rater

I worked at Google

Pros

Was a remote job. All web based. Nice on the resume. Very few requirements other than languages speaking and search knowledge.

Cons

No cons to complain about. The job was simple enough. The pay wasn't high enough to justify any sort of con list. I was a peon!

Had no management. Was all web based with electronic report cards based on how fast you worked and the quality of work performed.

Still a great place where you can change the world

Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

There are few places where your work can have the same impact it will have at Google. Your products touch millions of people, and millions or billions in revenue.

Cons

The company is getting really big. Products and infrastructures are huge now. Launching new products is getting really hard. Persuading people to go for a new idea can be an endless round of futile meetings. Getting promoted is harder now as the company is top heavy.

Focus more on enabling innovation to happen, and planning career paths for your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Google