There are newer employer reviews for Google

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Highly recommend it! Entrusted with a lot of responsibility.

Cons

Not much to say here :)

Keep doing a great job.

reviews filtered by

Great perks, and great for your resume/career

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

The work and projects are very challenging; Google's products have wide visibility; great food and perks, and working for Google is great for your resume.

Google rewards their top performers well. Base salary tends to run at around the 50th percentile in the industry, but annual bonuses the last few years have been ~25% of salary (it's not uncommon for above average performers to receive bonuses of 25-35% of salary).

Google also matches 401K contributions up to $8,250 for U.S. workers. BTW, 401K matching is something I really wished Glassdoor keeps data on. When comparing overall compensation of two or more companies, you have to account for 401K matching.

Cons

The company has grown substantially during the 4+ years I've been here. Management does a good job in trying to limit bureaucracy, but there's definitely more bureaucracy than there was 4 years ago.

Also, base salaries tend to be much lower than competitors. For a company that prides itself on hiring the best, they certainly don't pay the best when it comes to base salary.

The company made an excellent hire with the (relatively) new CFO. Lot's of waste has been eliminated. Let's keep plugging away at inefficiencies, focus the bulk of our staff and resources on products and projects that matter, and stay humble.

Growing Pains

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

The swag, food, and pride of working for a profitable company are definitely worth the problems that the company faces.

Cons

Everyone's had the kool-aide! They are having growing pains, too. It is a terrible place to start a career, many would say.

I would say grow up.