Google

www.google.com

Fascinating Company, but Getting Larger Every Day

Former Employee - Account Strategist  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Account Strategist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Great talent
- Fast Paced
- Wonderful culture of innovation

I have met wonderful people at this company who truly inspire. They are smart, efficient, and almost everyone goes the extra mile. It's a company that values kindness as well (Don't Be Evil!) The people who don't fall into this category are so rare that they almost become special in their own right- shooting stars of below-average performance. Most everyone is fantastic.

Cons

- Rigid promotion cycle
- Visibility is very hard in such a large company

The promotion cycle is very rigid, which isn't well aligned with the type of talent the company recruits (young go-getters who work hard but expect to see a correlation between effort and reward). Promotions do come but they are heavily relient on putting in a good amount of time first and being recognized by the right people. Managers really have to go to bat for their employees to get them promoted.

Also, Google is becoming a much larger company. It prides itself on its start-up roots, but it's becoming more and more hierarchical, with less and less opportunities to move up or sideways in the company.

- Review promotion structures- they are very inflexible
- It's a great company! Make sure you continue to stay true to the company values as it gets larger and more external pressures threaten to change the focus away from the users.

Other reviews for Google

It was an adventure

Former Employee - Technical Sourcer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Sourcer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

It was great working here as I learned so much. If they see you are working hard they will stop at nothing to help you succeed at what you are doing. The free food, gym access, concerts, game rooms, and snacks are nice as well. They let you use the shuttles as free and they would like you to pay to use them but I never did like most contractors.

Cons

About 500 recruiters competing against you so makes it very rough. Some of them are not googly that they will step over you to get it the hire not you. Its so big you can get lost and not get noticed the whole year you are there.

Take the time to get to know your workers. I had the Director walk by me so many times and never even got a hi.

The worst job I've ever had

Pros

-lunches were provided
    -the schedule was flexible
    -incredibly smart people

Cons

-my manager was aggressive
    -my manager illegally harassed me
    -HR did nothing about it
    -I ended up seeking counseling about the problems I was having with my manager
    -when I told her manager what was going on he told me I should man-up and grow a pair
    -when I confided in a colleague for advice, that person decided to gossip to the rest of the team about the problem

Sexual harassment is illegal.

There are newer employer reviews for Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!