Google
4.2 of 5 2,091 reviews
www.google.com Mountain View, CA 5000+ Employees

2091 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Fascinating Company, but Getting Larger Every Day

Account Strategist (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great talent
- Fast Paced
- Wonderful culture of innovation

I have met wonderful people at this company who truly inspire. They are smart, efficient, and almost everyone goes the extra mile. It's a company that values kindness as well (Don't Be Evil!) The people who don't fall into this category are so rare that they almost become special in their own right- shooting stars of below-average performance. Most everyone is fantastic.

Cons- Rigid promotion cycle
- Visibility is very hard in such a large company

The promotion cycle is very rigid, which isn't well aligned with the type of talent the company recruits (young go-getters who work hard but expect to see a correlation between effort and reward). Promotions do come but they are heavily relient on putting in a good amount of time first and being recognized by the right people. Managers really have to go to bat for their employees to get them promoted.

Also, Google is becoming a much larger company. It prides itself on its start-up roots, but it's becoming more and more hierarchical, with less and less opportunities to move up or sideways in the company.

Advice to Senior Management- Review promotion structures- they are very inflexible
- It's a great company! Make sure you continue to stay true to the company values as it gets larger and more external pressures threaten to change the focus away from the users.

I left

Very Specialized (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great programs and some great people Cons: Soem really entitled folks with a lack of real respect… Advice to Senior Management: Look at mid to upper managers and see what … Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

It was an adventure

Technical Sourcer (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: It was great working here as I learned so much. If they see you are working hard they will stop at nothing to help you… Cons: About 500 recruiters competing against you so makes it very rough. Some of them are not googly that they will step over you… Advice to Senior Management: Take the time to get to know your workers. I had the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Google CEO Larry Page . All reviews posted anonymously by Google employees.