Google

www.google.com
There are newer employer reviews for Google

Great company, great learning opportunities

I worked at Google

Pros

open culture, ample learning, good food, cool workspace

Cons

Slow career growth, processes are made more complicated by the day

2947 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Fascinating Company, but Getting Larger Every Day

Former Employee - Account Strategist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Strategist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great talent
    - Fast Paced
    - Wonderful culture of innovation

I have met wonderful people at this company who truly inspire. They are smart, efficient, and almost everyone goes the extra mile. It's a company that values kindness as well (Don't Be Evil!) The people who don't fall into this category are so rare that they almost become special in their own right- shooting stars of below-average performance. Most everyone is fantastic.

Cons

- Rigid promotion cycle
    - Visibility is very hard in such a large company

The promotion cycle is very rigid, which isn't well aligned with the type of talent the company recruits (young go-getters who work hard but expect to see a correlation between effort and reward). Promotions do come but they are heavily relient on putting in a good amount of time first and being recognized by the right people. Managers really have to go to bat for their employees to get them promoted.

Also, Google is becoming a much larger company. It prides itself on its start-up roots, but it's becoming more and more hierarchical, with less and less opportunities to move up or sideways in the company.

- Review promotion structures- they are very inflexible
    - It's a great company! Make sure you continue to stay true to the company values as it gets larger and more external pressures threaten to change the focus away from the users.

building SMB partnerships with Google

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are great. From everyone that I talk to, everyone says all the free food in the world can't replace the caliber of people one works with... I totally agree. Onsite massage therapist and all the food you can eat is great but the people I work with are smart, forward thinking, and thinking about what is best for the users and company.

Cons

Very fast paced. Reorgs all the time. If you're not proactively bettering your position in the company you can find yourself "reorg'ed" out of a position. Google Offers is an internal starup so very volatile.

Great job