There are newer employer reviews for Google

It really is the best place to work

I have been working at Google

Pros

Career development is always top of mind for managers at Google. I love that we can work on a variety of projects.

Cons

Time is always a battle here, there are 19 priority projects that all need to get done in parallel, so you often feel like you're always busy. The feeling is great because you get a sense that you're working on big projects with large impact, but whew, you get tired sometimes.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of smart people. Arguably the most interesting problems in computer science are being tackled on a daily basis -- certainly at an unparalleled scale. Different product areas have different cultures, so it's hard to generalize about the company as a whole, but I don't think any other company offers as good a combination of interesting projects, great benefits and compensation, smart co-workers, and good culture. It is worth noting that your experience can vary a lot depending on your product area and manager.

Cons

Company has gone a bit overboard in adding multiple levels of management in recent years, and organization feels more top-down than in the past, but neither aspect is too severe. Be prepared for a long commute if you want to live anywhere affordable or interesting. There is an astonishing lack of diversity in political viewpoints; if your heroes are not Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi, and Paul Krugman, then don't even think about engaging in a political discussion with your peers (in person or on any internal mailing lists).

Advice to Management

Break down the silos among different projects and different product areas.

Even as a Contractor, it's the Best Company I've ever Worked for!

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Boulder, CO
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is wonderful - aside from the free breakfast and lunch provided in the cafeteria every day and the many mini kitchens around the building with an array of healthy snacks, it affords you the opportunity to think creatively, try new things, and provides work/life balance. The people are fantastic and the work is engaging and challenging.

Cons

The only disadvantage in being hired as a contractor is that the odds of being converted to a full time employee are slim to none. But on the flip side, the experience sets you up for success with competitors - I've known other contractors with 1-3 years of Google experience to be hired at companies like Go Daddy, Amazon and Apple.

Advice to Management

None.