Google

www.google.com
  www.google.com
There are newer employer reviews for Google

Everything you've heard and more

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY
Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great compensation, amazing perks, and incredibly passionate coworkers.

While most companies will claim that people are their number on priority, Google is the only company I've worked at that actually delivers on this.

My wife actually almost cried when she learned about the generous paternity leave policy and the "death benefit" provided by the company if anything should ever happen to me. It's overwhelming to see an employer go so far above and beyond just to make their employee's families lives better.

I won't say too much about pay other than that my total compensation this year will be 2.5 times what I received at my previous employer ~2 years ago as a Software Engineer.

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult for people who are used to being the "big fish" at their previous company to get used to the fact that they're aren't the leader of the pack anymore.

Work/life balance at my old job was slightly better, but only because very few people had any passion for what they did so everyone was out the door as soon as they hit 40 hours and never answered email after hours.

Don't get comfortable, keep pushing the boundaries.

2813 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Excellent

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great culture, great perks. The work is challenging and rewarding

Cons

The only downside is the long hours (at times).

Listen to employee feedback and be more transparent about what team they will be working on

Amazing work environment but small cog

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor

Pros

Google has everything and more when it comes to accommodating their employees. Even contractors have access to the many spoils that Google offers. Great resume builder and place to meet smart engineers.

Cons

You are a small contributor in a large operation. Not a lot of growth opportunities outside of engineering.

There are newer employer reviews for Google