There are newer employer reviews for Google

Everything you've heard and more

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY
Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation, amazing perks, and incredibly passionate coworkers. While most companies will claim that people are their number on priority, Google is the only company I've worked at that actually delivers on this. My wife actually almost cried when she learned about the generous paternity leave policy and the "death benefit" provided by the company if anything should ever happen to me. It's overwhelming to see an employer go so far above and beyond just to make their employee's families lives better. I won't say too much about pay other than that my total compensation this year will be 2.5 times what I received at my previous employer ~2 years ago as a Software Engineer.

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult for people who are used to being the "big fish" at their previous company to get used to the fact that they're aren't the leader of the pack anymore. Work/life balance at my old job was slightly better, but only because very few people had any passion for what they did so everyone was out the door as soon as they hit 40 hours and never answered email after hours.

Advice to Management

Don't get comfortable, keep pushing the boundaries.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Employees are polarized

Former Employee - Manager, Media Platforms Solutions in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager, Media Platforms Solutions in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, plain and simple. The stock still seems to have some legs. The company leads amazing projects on the edge via the Google X division

Cons

Way too many middle managers. Employees are mired in cycles of performance reviews, the dreaded calibration, being graded on the curve, etc. Competitive, political workplace.

Advice to Management

Cut back on hiring from Consulting or MBAs; go back to your roots of valuing scrappy and digging qualifications.

Great experience

I worked at Google

Pros

Google is a massive organization. So what one would experience in one part may not hold true for the rest of the company. I truly enjoyed my work there. Its amazing to see how people start looking at you differently the moment you tell them you are working for Google. Try not to take the "smart" thing too seriously.

Cons

When I was there, they hired record number of college grads. Not all of them were extraordinary. I couldn't help but wonder why they deserved the perks(investor money). Many of these people came from less diverse areas and had hard time understanding people of different cultures. They only hire smartest people, but even those need some sort of distinction among themselves. Talk about human ego. A team lead in my adjacent cubicle had created a small partition from rest of her team just to show her authority. Why would a smart person need that ? Wouldn't she distinguish herself by her leadership work ? Many people are trying very hard to prove that they are smart, and it shows. Google apparently is yet to come up with an algorithm to hire truly capable people in short time. Also their previous smart hires who have hired many smart people do not seem to be effective enough. Hence the ceremony of 10 rounds of interviews and hurting candidates' self esteem. Now that the party is over, only those who prefer to be in cushy jobs that pay well with perks they don't deserve are the ones left in this great company. Because the ones with real abilities whose life's pieces didn't fall in right places(like Steve Jobs) are out there trying to build something that'll shake up the status quo.

Advice to Management

Even if there are few pockets in the company, where people abuse their authority however small, it ends up tarnishing companys image. Most people are not driven to churn out best product.