Google

www.google.com
  www.google.com
There are newer employer reviews for Google

All in all, still a great place to work

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Working with talented, driven people who I can learn from every day
Working in a place where I feel I'm making a difference.
Working in a place where I feel I can express myself
Great for the resume. I feel the experience I've had here will be valuable in the future
I have had a string of excellent managers
I get to say that I work for one of the most influential companies of our time.

Cons

It can be hard to advance from one level to the next
Senior management can be very arrogant (I guess it's their prerogative)
Everything is numbers driven, except when it's not

Let people do what they do best.

2809 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Higher total compensation than competitors, engineering-dominated company, and incredibly bright coworkers.

Former Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Higher total compensation than competitors - competitive salaries are augmented by large cash bonuses, equity awards, 401k matching, commuter benefits, and incredible on-campus perks, such as free meals and massages, but also including so much more.

Incredibly bright coworkers. Famous computer scientists from all over the world are working in small teams at Google and the average engineer is able to approach any one of them.

Very thorough annual 360 degree feedback and promotion committees to decide promotions allow individuals to succeed even if there is a disagreement with their direct manager.

Cons

Google hires so aggressively that you don't necessarily get to meet your manager and team mates before you start. There are so many new people coming in each week that they literally can't arrange this. That is a big downside compared to other companies where you would meet your potential manager before agreeing to work there.

I provided feedback to senior management frequently on Fridays by posing questions at the weekly TGIF session. Google faces a number of technological, regulatory, and employee-retention challenges but I am sure senior management is more aware of these issues than I am.

Great place to work, great resume builder

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Google

Pros

Google is in the process of changing the world, or more specifically, how the world uses information. It has been a great pleasure to see this process take form and execute over the last 3 years. The career advancement is good and there are plenty of opportunities to showcase you talent. This can be a double edged sword if you trip up but since you have to be pretty good to get in at Google then that shoudl not be a major concern.

Cons

There is a sense of intense oversight at Google where every move is analyzed. Plus, if you are not based in Mountain View then you are a second class citizen.

I would hope that Senior Management would adopt a more open forum for what is the next big thing at Google.

There are newer employer reviews for Google