There are newer employer reviews for Google

All in all, still a great place to work

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Working with talented, driven people who I can learn from every day Working in a place where I feel I'm making a difference. Working in a place where I feel I can express myself Great for the resume. I feel the experience I've had here will be valuable in the future I have had a string of excellent managers I get to say that I work for one of the most influential companies of our time.

Cons

It can be hard to advance from one level to the next Senior management can be very arrogant (I guess it's their prerogative) Everything is numbers driven, except when it's not

Advice to Management

Let people do what they do best.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Higher total compensation than competitors, engineering-dominated company, and incredibly bright coworkers.

Former Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google

Pros

Higher total compensation than competitors - competitive salaries are augmented by large cash bonuses, equity awards, 401k matching, commuter benefits, and incredible on-campus perks, such as free meals and massages, but also including so much more. Incredibly bright coworkers. Famous computer scientists from all over the world are working in small teams at Google and the average engineer is able to approach any one of them. Very thorough annual 360 degree feedback and promotion committees to decide promotions allow individuals to succeed even if there is a disagreement with their direct manager.

Cons

Google hires so aggressively that you don't necessarily get to meet your manager and team mates before you start. There are so many new people coming in each week that they literally can't arrange this. That is a big downside compared to other companies where you would meet your potential manager before agreeing to work there.

Advice to Management

I provided feedback to senior management frequently on Fridays by posing questions at the weekly TGIF session. Google faces a number of technological, regulatory, and employee-retention challenges but I am sure senior management is more aware of these issues than I am.

Google Rocks!

Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Great people. Great food. Total innovation! I love working at a company that has so many cool projects. A true technology company that is building new technologies to give everyone in the world internet access. Most impressive management team I've ever worked with. The management team including founders and CEO are aware and care about everything that is going on within the company. They are willing to take risks that keep things interesting.

Cons

Long hours, millionaires can be difficult to work with. People outside of Google think that the company is all fun and games. Google is an aggressive company that will change the world in the next 10 years.